Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY leftovers

With lack of leftover antelope tags I am wondering if something happened to the general population that is not widely reported yet? Or if it is just more people putting in for them?

With lack of leftover antelope tags I am wondering if something happened to the general population that is not widely reported yet? Or if it is just more people putting in for them?

just more people that i can tell. and as has been pointed out, the residents are making more moves on applying for their tags. to a certain amount, un-taken resident tags drop into the NR draw during the draw process. so, double whammy really

plus the good ol point dumpers making moves

tag quotas in the areas i pay attention to have not been fluctuating much

just more people that i can tell. and as has been pointed out, the residents are making more moves on applying for their tags. to a certain amount, un-taken resident tags drop into the NR draw during the draw process. so, double whammy really

Or just as likely that unemployed residents are applying for extra tags. In my area with 43 type 2 leftovers I thought I had one pretty much wrapped up. Not so much as it turned out.

Also some hunters had plans for AK or Canada or Africa and many of those trips are now unlikely or canceled so are now scrambling to find a hunt so can get out of the workplace or home office.

Eh, little column A, little column B. People are getting better at using the resources out there, so I think they're spreading their applications around more (as in, making choices more and more based on draw odds). That probably has the effect of making more people apply for tags initially that would have otherwise gone undersubscribed, because they think they have good odds of drawing those tags. Combine that with non-resident applications numbers being up, and that's a recipe for not many leftover tags.

Based on some of the posts this year from first-time forum posters, I also wonder how many people actually took the time to research the areas they were applying for. I get the sense a few people are going to be disappointed when they get to an area only to find that the one little sliver of accessible public land is practically glowing hunter orange.

Are the 45-4 tags more coveted than the 45-5 just based on season length? Looks like the 45-5 has a break between Oct 11-November 5, but Type 5 also allows you to hunt earlier in October than Type 4. I would have thought it would be reversed as the type 5 tag allows you to rifle hunt closer to the tail end of the rut. Does the weather play a big enough factor in that unit that the best choice is to hunt later in October?

I checked kansasson’s status at :05 after posting hour and felt my heart drop......unsuccessful. Then I checked thirty seconds later just to be sure.....Unsuccessful still. I texted Mrs kansasdad to share the sad news. No reply to my text to him, I waited until his lunchtime and asked as if I didn’t already know if he had checked.

“Nope, been out in the refinery doing engineering stuff. I’ll check right now”. I started to reply with my bad news and he chimes back: “CONGRATS TO MEEEEEEEEEE”.

Somehow after I checked, a successful tag application materialized and now we have a reason to bring a bow on our Wyoming adventure.

We are looking forward to giving the Randy Newberg Gerber knives exchange blade system a thorough test this fall.

Agree 100%. The quotas for the areas I look at haven't changed much either. The leftover draw process just started in 2017 and I think folks are getting wiser that leftover tags may not be as sure of an option as they once were and are simply putting in for the regular draw.

Agree 100%. The quotas for the areas I look at haven't changed much either. The leftover draw process just started in 2017 and I think folks are getting wiser that leftover tags may not be as sure of an option as they once were and are simply putting in for the regular draw.

They used to have leftover draws in the past. The leftover draw was re-instated in 2017.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back