Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WY - Grizzly - solo - choices

NM_ElkNut

I'm trying to gauge risk and pick where to I want to apply for elk this year. I'm a non-resident. No guide.

I'm not trying to start a squabble. These are two legitimate questions. How risky is solo hunting (and especially game recovery) in grizzly country?

I've been hunting the SW Rockies for 30 years. The last 15 years I'm mostly been hunting solo. I'm usually truck camping and hike up to 5 miles in for day hunts. Some 1-2 mile in backpack overnights. Black bears don't really bother me including backpack overnights with one huffing 50 yards from bivy sack. I have no experience with brown bears.

I'm looking at WY elk hunts. Most of my partners are less committed than me. So I'm looking at solo. I did solo in WY 41 a few years ago but no big bears there. That went fine. Even got a decent bull.

The way I see it a hunting partner is mostly safety-useful once the elk is down. Is there a big safety benefit from a partner while hunting?

Is dressing and packing an elk out solo in brown bear country dumb?

If it makes a difference I'm looking at archery (carry the bow plus a .41 and bear spray) with a backup plan of rifle and bear spray. With 4 points there is some good looking stuff west. Or maybe rifle if I can get a friend to join me for part of it (he has no points so I would share.)

The risk is real and far higher when archery hunting. Solo archery elk hunting in Grizz country is by far the most dangerous version.

1. Bears foraging for food pre-hibernation.
2. You acting like a food source. Sneaking around quietly, making elk sounds etc...
3. Often an archery shot on an elk requires drawn out searching for that elk where with a rifle most often the animal goes down in sight.
4. Most often when hunting solo it will require not only multiple trips to get the elk out it will require a drawn out processing time as well as just getting the meat away from the carcass.

Not saying don't do it. I have and will, but you better be ok with the risk. It's not made up.

If you look at it from a probability standpoint, there are things you can do to lower the chance of encounters, starting with practicing bear safety. The other factor is bear density, there are still general units with good hunting that have relatively low grizzly density, so if you aren't dead set on hunting right around Yellowstone, Cody or Jackson I think you can find areas where you can feel comfortable going solo. I'd look at Wyoming range, the further south the lower the grizzly density, they are increasing but will take some time before they start to get thick. They're grizzlies in WY, brown bears are up north in AK, Canada, Russia etc.

I used to do a bit of elk hunting solo in grizz country. I never felt super uncomfortable but I was also in my 20's and was really only doing day trips from home. I'd call a warden for the units you are looking at and see what the bear densities are like. There are certainly good general units in WY that don't have grizzlies or have low densities. I don't think hunting solo is dumb in grizzly country, you just have to be more cautious. I wouldn't hike 2 hours before shooting light to get to a spot. When you have one down, keep your head on a swivel and make a bunch of noise every few minutes. Move the guts away from the meat if you have to leave it anywhere. Little things like that can make a difference.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Your actual hunting time is likely to be cut down considerably. I love to hunt elk in the evening. Actually my favorite time, BUT shooting a bull with a bow late in the afternoon to evening in Grizz country shoots your risk a LOT. You really need to consider this point and think about how you're going to deal with it.
1. Are you going to cut your hunting time in 1/2 and not hunt the evening?
2. If you shoot a bull in the evening are you willing to track it in the dark in grizz country?
3. If no to 1 and no to 2 then you're likelihood of these are great:
a. losing meat to spoilage.
b. encountering a grizz on your meat and or one being close by

The biggest thing I would reccomend is prioritize food/ meat storage above almost all else. At night hang your food a good long ways from your camp. Another thing to think about is a bear fence. They weigh like 3 or 4 pounds but sure give you a little bit slighter sense of security at night. Then when it comes to the meat; If the temperature allows, I probably wouldnt track an elk you shot in the dark and really wouldnt pack it in the dark. Again that would be very dependent on weather though.

Your chance of a hostile encounter are greatly exaggerated, but if you have one this will be a rather meaningless consolation. If you go, and you are scared, you will manufacture a reason to not hunt, so why go? I've watched it happen in group camps solo would be way worse.

If you look at it from a probability standpoint, there are things you can do to lower the chance of encounters, starting with practicing bear safety. The other factor is bear density, there are still general units with good hunting that have relatively low grizzly density, so if you aren't dead set on hunting right around Yellowstone, Cody or Jackson I think you can find areas where you can feel comfortable going solo. I'd look at Wyoming range, the further south the lower the grizzly density, they are increasing but will take some time before they start to get thick. They're grizzlies in WY, brown bears are up north in AK, Canada, Russia etc.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the Wyoming Range tonight.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Wyoming Range tonight.
There was one spotted last summer just north of Lake Viva Naughten. I agree that densities are lower in the Wyoming Range especially as you get further south, but it’s not 100% guarantee. So you’ll still need to be prepared.

There was one spotted last summer just north of Lake Viva Naughten. I agree that densities are lower in the Wyoming Range especially as you get further south, but it’s not 100% guarantee. So you’ll still need to be prepared.
Biggest griz i have ever seen alive was near mt McDougal(wy range) 2 summers ago. Last elk season there was warnings about a aggresive griz with cubs off the Hoback. There not nearly as dense as more north but there are truly in there now and moving south. Got a buddy who didnt want to deal with bears so he hunts bighorns, they are getting to become a real issue and sometimes its just plan luck, hopefully good luck.

Your chance of a hostile encounter are greatly exaggerated, but if you have one this will be a rather meaningless consolation. If you go, and you are scared, you will manufacture a reason to not hunt, so why go? I've watched it happen in group camps solo would be way worse.
That’s some really solid advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back