WY General Elk - Who's In?

I have a quick question for you WY application pros. I was talking to another member on here and it came up that we both have different understanding of how WY random draw works. So hoping someone can help clarify. Thanks

WY GEN elk tag (or any LE tag in WY i guess) lets say Elk Gen tag will take 5points to draw.
I have 3 points but I applied in hopes to draw in Random part.
Where im not sure now, if i get lucky and get drawn in Random portion.
Do i loose my 3 points or do i keep them? I thought that im just Not able to but a new point in same year indraw. But I believed i keep my 3pp?
Can someone clarify if points are used up in random or not? Thanks
You lose them if your first choice hunt gets drawn

Ok thanks
Pretty sure you only lose them if you draw first choice in preference point draw, random draw doesn't consume points. Edit: apparently I've misunderstood it all these years, from gohunt:

If you draw your 1st choice, in either the preference point or random draw, your preference points will be used and zeroed out. So next year you start over at zero because you also cannot purchase a preference point the same year you draw.Dec 7, 2020

Last edited:
Pretty sure you only lose them if you draw first choice in preference point draw, random draw doesn't consume points. Edit: apparently I've misunderstood it all these years, from gohunt:

If you draw your 1st choice, in either the preference point or random draw, your preference points will be used and zeroed out. So next year you start over at zero because you also cannot purchase a preference point the same year you draw.Dec 7, 2020
that was my thinking too, but as you just checked and few others pointed out, looks like if i'm lucky in random i'll loose my points. which is fine but wanted to be sure.

I have a quick question for you WY application pros. I was talking to another member on here and it came up that we both have different understanding of how WY random draw works. So hoping someone can help clarify. Thanks

WY GEN elk tag (or any LE tag in WY i guess) lets say Elk Gen tag will take 5points to draw.
I have 3 points but I applied in hopes to draw in Random part.
Where im not sure now, if i get lucky and get drawn in Random portion.
Do i loose my 3 points or do i keep them? I thought that im just Not able to but a new point in same year indraw. But I believed i keep my 3pp?
Can someone clarify if points are used up in random or not? Thanks
If you draw the NR Gen Elk tag in the random portion of the draw, and it was your first choice, you will lose your 3 PP.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back