Caribou Gear

WY Gen Tag

kmachine19

What is good general unit for Wyoming?? Not looking for a spot just a unit in general

What I would do is get on the Wyoming Game & Fish website and study the harvest reports for last year, then look at the drawing odds reports for nonresident (unless you are a Wyoming resident). Pick an area with the best harvest ratios and the best drawing odds. General areas have a high amount of private to public land ratio though but generally plenty of opportunities if you do your research.

Specifically, Wyoming calls them "hunt areas". The state is also divided into regions with a regional office managing enforcement, wildlife management, and habitat efforts within their assigned region.

What is good general unit for Wyoming?? Not looking for a spot just a unit in general
Before you completely sink your ship here...and it's about 90% full of water at this point and about to capsize...consider that this thread, along with your 1 other thread that also asks for specific advice about a general unit, is in very poor taste on HT.

I would suggest reading the information on the WY G&F website where endless amounts of info is posted on public access, migration routes, animal densities, hunter numbers, etc. After spending many hours doing this you will see that some units are "good" for what you have in mind for a hunt, which, by the way, none of us have any clue about except yourself.

After you exhaust the resources already published on the internet, feel free to get back on here and apologize for your faux pas (2), and ask more specific questions if you are truly stumped in your hunt planning.

Welcome to HT

Specifically, Wyoming calls them "hunt areas". The state is also divided into regions with a regional office managing enforcement, wildlife management, and habitat efforts within their assigned region.

Yep. And I'll be in one of those areas this season with a general elk tag in my pocket. I can't wait to be back there.

I will not engage some of the comments posted here, as dignity and respect even if you don't like the post is expected, but it is important that you do your own homework and ask for help after you get stumped. What is a good area for me might not be a good area for you. Some areas you need a guide, others you need access to horses and llamas, and yet others might require resources you may or may not have. Pick an area based on your research, your resources and experience and go for it. The area I hunt in, I am on private on an inactive oil lease with permission and have access to horses. Many areas are very rough, yet some are mostly rolling hills with steep canyons and ravines. Get comfortable with one area and stick with it if you can and your success will improve over time if you follow all other rules and hints on hunting. A bit hint, there is no one "easy" area. You have to be prepared to work for it.

Be aware that some areas hold elk that migrate as much as 10-20 miles between winter and spring feeding. This is definitely true for those areas close to Yellowstone.

I agree with the "do your research" comments.
The question you might want to ask yourself is how do you feel about hunting in grizzly country?
Our population over here in NW Wyoming isn't getting any smaller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back