WY Cow Moose Area 40

Carl 9.3x62

I have 7 moose points going into the draw this year and have been thinking of putting in for a cow moose, as I have already killed a bull. Looks like area 40 is about the only area I can draw. Anyone on here ever hunt that area?

Carl- I hunted this unit several years ago, 8 I think for a bull. Saw several cows nearly every day but never saw a good enough bull. I think the season dates are later and that should help. Not sure what the population is doing. Access was good if you asked. Habitat is limited to right along the Hamms Fork river so you will need private access. Talk to the Biologist they will know who is having moose problems. There's at least one other Hunttalker on here that I met that trip who hunted it. Good Luck!

Carl- I hunted this unit several years ago, 8 I think for a bull. Saw several cows nearly every day but never saw a good enough bull. I think the season dates are later and that should help. Not sure what the population is doing. Access was good if you asked. Habitat is limited to right along the Hamms Fork river so you will need private access. Talk to the Biologist they will know who is having moose problems. There's at least one other Hunttalker on here that I met that trip who hunted it. Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. I have talked with the biologist some, and he pretty much said the same thing. Reached out to the GW also but haven't heard back. Bummer you didn't get a bull!

I was the resident hunter that year when Sandbrew hunted it. I might have my contact info on landowners.
Cows would be along the river while bulls will roam out in the sage.
Nice folks to talk with for access from my experience.

I was the resident hunter that year when Sandbrew hunted it. I might have my contact info on landowners.
Cows would be along the river while bulls will roam out in the sage.
Nice folks to talk with for access from my experience.
Good to know, thanks for the reply. Were landowners charging a trespass fee at all?

I have 7 moose points going into the draw this year and have been thinking of putting in for a cow moose, as I have already killed a bull. Looks like area 40 is about the only area I can draw. Anyone on here ever hunt that area?
Hello Carl, I am brand new here. Do you actually hunt with a 9.3x62? I am thinking about getting one or a 9.3x57. All comments welcomed. thank you

Cow moose hunting in Wyoming is tough not because you can’t find a cow but you can’t find one without a calf with it. In Wyoming you can’t shoot a cow with a calf which is why I suspect most tags are filled on a calf.

Hello Carl, I am brand new here. Do you actually hunt with a 9.3x62? I am thinking about getting one or a 9.3x57. All comments welcomed. thank you
Welcome to hunt talk. I do hunt with a 9.3x62, part of the time anyway. Normally use it for elk, but have killed a couple deer with it too. I have a CZ 550, with the Mannlicher stock. Which rifle are you looking into getting?

Cow moose hunting in Wyoming is tough not because you can’t find a cow but you can’t find one without a calf with it. In Wyoming you can’t shoot a cow with a calf which is why I suspect most tags are filled on a calf.
Yes, I am well aware of that. I'd like to not kill a calf, but will if it means I don't go home empty handed.

Welcome to hunt talk. I do hunt with a 9.3x62, part of the time anyway. Normally use it for elk, but have killed a couple deer with it too. I have a CZ 550, with the Mannlicher stock. Which rifle are you looking into getting?
I have no experience with 40, lots with SE and NW Wyoming. This is what I have in mind for a 9.3X57. Only problem the twist is 1/14 and I use Barnes and they are best with 1/12. Otherwise I would be all over the rifle below.

I have been thinking about getting a decent 8x57 and having it rebored to 9.3x57. I almost bought the CZ but backed out because they need CZ rings and they do not come in low. Every rifle I have has low or ultra low rings. Thank you

Carl I saw cows both with and without calves while over there hunting for a bull. You should be able to find a barren cow if you draw.
Sage grouse to hunt also.

I am new here to this forum. Very happy to read about moose hunting in Wyoming.
I moved to Wyoming 6 years ago from Northern Colorado. I stomped all over the Snowy range, Woods Landing and North Park Colorado before moving to Central Wyoming.
I ran into moose all the time when I used to fly fish, backpack, camp etc.
They were always along the rivers and lowlands there.
I am putting in for an area 38/41 tag.
I am wondering if anyone here knows how those areas look after the Mullen fire cut through the middle.
I figure I’ll need a few years to draw a tag, so I better start researching

I am new here to this forum. Very happy to read about moose hunting in Wyoming.
I moved to Wyoming 6 years ago from Northern Colorado. I stomped all over the Snowy range, Woods Landing and North Park Colorado before moving to Central Wyoming.
I ran into moose all the time when I used to fly fish, backpack, camp etc.
They were always along the rivers and lowlands there.
I am putting in for an area 38/41 tag.
I am wondering if anyone here knows how those areas look after the Mullen fire cut through the middle.
I figure I’ll need a few years to draw a tag, so I better start researching
I have heard that it burned in somewhat of a mosaic pattern in areas, but I think some areas got scorched pretty good too.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back