Caribou Gear

WY Cow Elk Hunt Fall 2013

ginkgo72

I've been studying everything I can get my hands on and I'm ready to apply for a cow elk hunt in Wyoming. I know a lot of you on this site hate to give up the info - but maybe you're willing to give me some advice on cow tags.
I'm looking for an area that is mostly public land that has a good chance to help me hook a "first time elk hunter" on the sport. I've done two excellent hunts near Cody - but this fellow wouldn't be up for the 3-4 mile hike. PM me if you're shy.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard the Elk Refuge hunt can be good - it sound like there are about 90 hunters per hunt period and of those 10 one is for youth only. It seems like a lot of hunting pressure.

I would suggest he apply for a reduced price cow/calf tag, type 6, for any unit from 90-98. 92 and 94 are particularly good. The draw odds for many of these unit's are 100% and the price is reasonable. Success is not a slam dunk, but hunting is not suppose to be. Lots of elk, thats why they have reduced price cow tags. 3-4 mile hikes are not required. Good luck and have fun.

Thank you for the response. I love Wyoming elk hunting -and hunting cool looking land is what I'm after -I'll give SW a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back