Wy 7 help offer

That makes group number 6 I have hopefully pointed in the right direction.

I am past the time I can physically go take you and put you on goats....but I can point you to where I am seeing them while deer hunting.

Nice goats!

I am really leaning toward unit 7 for next year. It will be my first time goat hunting or even being out west and I probably will have 3 other buddies with me if we draw. It looks like there is a good amount of public in the unit compared to some of the others you can draw with 1 point.

We like to get the experience so we will be doing some walking rather than road hunting to get out and see some different country from what we are used to in PA.

Any tips or tricks would be welcomed if that offer extends to 2021 haha =)
Thanks!

Awesome goats. Hope to get out there in next year or 2 to chase some myself. Seems really fast to get one back from 2020 already. Couple 3 month turn around?

Success with antelope goes way up if you just get away from the road. I tag out typically every year because (one I am a meat hunter) I park and walk 1/2 to 2 miles away from the road and sometimes sit and do flagging and other tricks to get them to come closer. Road hunting works against you believe it or not.
I’ve never heard of flag in antelope. Can you expound a little bit on what you do? I think this is awesome!

I’ve never heard of flag in antelope. Can you expound a little bit on what you do? I think this is awesome!
Yup. One of the weaknesses of antelope is their curiosity which is very strong. If you lay flat and they can't see you or don't know what you are, they will in many cases approach and inspect you.

Read this article for more info than I can put here: https://www.tasteofthewoods.com/blog/waving-the-flag-for-antelope/flaggingpronghorns-cwsfs

Flagging antelope is illegal in some states but not in Wyoming. A game warden gave me an orange Wyoming promo flag and I have used it and it actually works. Put it on a stick and raise it a second then lay it back down. Works best if you do it behind cover where they can't really see you once flag is down.

EDIT: I should add, once they detect you or they detect danger flagging will probably fail. It will also fail if they see other hunters near you.

Last edited:
I hunted unit & a few years ago, and plan to go back next year. It was a very cool area. Did you end up getting a deer? Also did you hunt for mule deer or whitetail?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back