WW2 bomb detonated in my local city

My wife and I were reading about this on the BBC this morning. The article said that you could hear the explosion from over five miles away. It also said that some of the dorm housing for the university was damaged and that students would have to find some temporary housing until it was repaired. Reporter also said that sand from the protective barriers that were built covered the trees and buildings for several blocks around the location. Exeter is a beautiful city with an amazing history. And the people that live around the area aren't too bad either.

Wow. It amazes me that we are still finding things like this so long after. Who pays for the structural repair? Some special insurance for things like this?
Little update, people that have been temporarily housed in hotels will have the bills paid by the local council.
Any damage to property...you guessed it, down to the owner and their insurance company, who will no doubt try and wriggle out of it in the small print, should be interesting as there could be get out clauses of acts of war:eek:
Cheers Richard

Crazy. So much forgotten history in your soil. Always amazes me when you hear about some farmer in the UK plowing up coins or artifacts after a thousand years or more.
Indeed, Sutton Hoo is less than a mile from my main deer stalking ground. Hills similar on the estate but the own wont let them dig it up.

Amazing. There is an area in France called The Red Zone that is still off-limits to civillians from WWI.

In Flanders, every year when the farmers plough the fields they rip up all sorts. They just stack them by the side of the road and people come along to collect them.

They estimated once in a video I saw, can't find the link anymore that during the monsoon season thousands of bombs landed without detonating and sunk deep into the mud on Okinawa and in Germany and England from WWII especially motar rounds and anti-tank rounds with impact detonators. They will be finding them deep into the foreseable future.

Skeletons like I found in the cave on Okinawa are probably going to be found by others long into the foreseeable future especially in Philippines, Korea, Okinawa and other formerly Japanese held islands where hundreds of thousands of tons of bombs were dropped and Japanese took refuge in caves.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back