Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WTB New Mexico Landowner Antelope Tag

I’m sure you have it figured out by now but I thought I would go ahead and leave you information anyways best thing to do is get on a platform like onX hunt find the name of the private landowners in the area that you would like to hunt do a little bit of googling and you can usually find out some kind of contact information for them get a hold of them a lot of the places in my area won’t even charge you an access fee. Just make sure you can have Some form of written permission in your hand whether it be printed from an email or the original copy then simply by your OTC tag and go hunt.

Hmmmm....I have a landowner tag in my possession that is a tag, good for the entire unit. Elk, not antelope, but unit-wide tags are just that, tags, just like the ranch-only.

Hmmmm....I have a landowner tag in my possession that is a tag, good for the entire unit. Elk, not antelope, but unit-wide tags are just that, tags, just like the ranch-only.
Ok I see, I guess I’m still not just not quite understanding the original question. If you are a landowner and have been issued a tag by the state you obviously have every right to hunt anywhere on that land the tag was issued for and essentially the same story if you purchased the tag from a landowner only difference being having written consent from the land owner. Otherwise if it is a public draw tag you can only hunt state, BLM, and national forest in that unit. Even if you have written land owners permission that tag is not allowed to be used on private property.

Ok I see, I guess I’m still not just not quite understanding the original question. If you are a landowner and have been issued a tag by the state you obviously have every right to hunt anywhere on that land the tag was issued for and essentially the same story if you purchased the tag from a landowner only difference being having written consent from the land owner. Otherwise if it is a public draw tag you can only hunt state, BLM, and national forest in that unit. Even if you have written land owners permission that tag is not allowed to be used on private property.
Also if it is an over the counter private land use only tag as I said in my original post the only other thing you need is written landowner permission

I don't believe this is true. Where in the regulations can I find that?

I’m sure you have it figured out by now but I thought I would go ahead and leave you information anyways best thing to do is get on a platform like onX hunt find the name of the private landowners in the area that you would like to hunt do a little bit of googling and you can usually find out some kind of contact information for them get a hold of them a lot of the places in my area won’t even charge you an access fee. Just make sure you can have Some form of written permission in your hand whether it be printed from an email or the original copy then simply by your OTC tag and go hunt.
Thanks for the reply. Are there landowner tags? Or do I contact landowners after I draw a tag? How are outfitters getting tags?

Thanks for the reply. Are there landowner tags? Or do I contact landowners after I draw a tag? How are outfitters . If you put in for a lottery draw tag and get lucky enough to draw a tag, all of those tags will be for “public land only” which will be any State Of New Mexico, BLM, and national forest property in the unit area that tag is issued for.
Thanks for the reply. Are there landowner tags? Or do I contact landowners after I draw a tag? How are outfitters getting tags?
They made several changes to the rules on antelope here just a year or two ago in New Mexico. I’m not too sure if landowners are issued any tags simply because you can buy the private land only over-the-counter tag they will just want to charge you a fee to access their property a lot of places. As far as the lottery draw tag go if you were lucky enough to draw a tag all of those tags will be for “public use land only“ which essentially means for the period you are allowed to hunt under that tag you can hunt any State of New Mexico, BLM, and National Forest property in the hunt unit area the tag is issued for. The percentages on the lottery tags work like this 84% of tags are issued to resident non-outfitted hunts, 10% of tags go to outfitters, and 6% of tags go to non-residence applying from out of state. Hope that might help you out in someway. Good luck out there! If you get on some property and get one make sure and post us all a picture

They made several changes to the rules on antelope here just a year or two ago in New Mexico. I’m not too sure if landowners are issued any tags simply because you can buy the private land only over-the-counter tag they will just want to charge you a fee to access their property a lot of places. As far as the lottery draw tag go if you were lucky enough to draw a tag all of those tags will be for “public use land only“ which essentially means for the period you are allowed to hunt under that tag you can hunt any State of New Mexico, BLM, and National Forest property in the hunt unit area the tag is issued for. The percentages on the lottery tags work like this 84% of tags are issued to resident non-outfitted hunts, 10% of tags go to outfitters, and 6% of tags go to non-residence applying from out of state. Hope that might help you out in someway. Good luck out there! If you get on some property and get one make sure and post us all a picture

That isn't exactly true. You can also hunt any private land that you have permission to hunt on with the tag that you drew. They aren't restricted to public land, you just have to have written permission from the landowner if you want to hunt private land with them.

Part of the confusion here is that antelope just joined deer in New Mexico where you don't really get a set number of landowner tags for them anymore if you own property. If you give people permission, they can go and buy a tag over the counter and hunt your property with it. If you want to give 100 people permission to hunt your property and they all go buy tags that is okay per the rules right now. Those tags are restricted to private land only though. You can not use them on any public land. Many landowners are confused on this and think state or BLM lease lands are okay to hunt with these landowner tags but they are not.

Elk still is under the old system where each landowner is granted a specific number of tags and they are either ranch only or unit wide. Deer and Antelope are unlimited on private property except for a few trophy deer units.

That isn't exactly true. You can also hunt any private land that you have permission to hunt on with the tag that you drew. They aren't restricted to public land, you just have to have written permission from the landowner if you want to hunt private land with them.

Part of the confusion here is that antelope just joined deer in New Mexico where you don't really get a set number of landowner tags for them anymore if you own property. If you give people permission, they can go and buy a tag over the counter and hunt your property with it. If you want to give 100 people permission to hunt your property and they all go buy tags that is okay per the rules right now. Those tags are restricted to private land only though. You can not use them on any public land. Many landowners are confused on this and think state or BLM lease lands are okay to hunt with these landowner tags but they are not.

Elk still is under the old system where each landowner is granted a specific number of tags and they are either ranch only or unit wide. Deer and Antelope are unlimited on private property except for a few trophy deer units.
I was unaware of that, I just thumbed through the Regs real quick and you’re correct I believe. I thought I had read somewhere before draw tags were not to be used on private (with permission) even after they changed everything, but I sure don’t see anywhere hear that it says that! Thank you for correcting me on that npaden glad to know it

Back