Caribou Gear

WTB - Mule Deer Cape

FlatlanderAZ

Does anyone have a cape from an approximately 3 year old mule deer buck? Between ticks and bullets my son’s Kaibab cape is in rough shape. It’s his first deer and he was really looking forward to a shoulder mount.

Ive got a few too many in the freezer wet tanned A little older deer no doubt and late season hair if that matters one way or the other to you.

I had this same issue with the very first buck I shot. I was 14 or 15 years old and ruined the cape. I kept the head and antlers and the next year I went out and shot a smaller antlered buck with a big neck to somewhat match the antler size. So I have what I consider 2 trophies in one mount. I am really glad it happened the way it did. I don't know if that's an option or not..

At some point he will shoot another buck. But we live in AZ and this was a Kaibab buck. Most of our deer are desert Muleys which have a very different coat than Rocky Mountain mule deer.

I’m not sure when he will shoot another Rocky Mountain mule deer. But a cape from a similarly aged buck in Utah, ID, WY or CO would likely be a better representation than another AZ buck.

We just bought a large muley cape from Glacier Tannery in Kalispell, MT. Client messed up his animal. They had several smaller buck capes. Daughter picked it up at the border two days ago and she says it was a good cape (I haven't seen it because I'm still quarantined). They also tanned my buck's cape from two years ago and did a good job on it. The business is quite large and receives hides from all over the world. They might well have exactly what you need. Give them a call.

I have one that’s been in the freezer for 2 years. If you’re interested PM me and we’ll talk

Are there any legality issues with sharing a hide??

photo for reference:

Attachments

• A6AEB69C-408C-4D45-B3A3-A6716E1D9832.jpeg
    A6AEB69C-408C-4D45-B3A3-A6716E1D9832.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 001FA512-966F-4A78-A5CD-E51FB36B8E48.jpeg
    001FA512-966F-4A78-A5CD-E51FB36B8E48.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members