Wtb 0 degree sleeping bag

Backpack or truck? Since you say 0 I assume truck, I have a cabelas trapper(5years heavy use) about to be replaced by a Teton maybe deer Hunter or XXL. In truck/trailer I always use a canvas bag with flannel inside. My backpack bag is a 15 and lowest rating I am willing to carry. I use a bigagnes elk park?, great bag! I have to have rectangle bags cause on my size 14 feet and 2not great knees I need room to move.

I’m 5’11” and got a regular marmot never summer 0 deg. I backpack with it and it seems pretty good for the price. Used it in very cold temps last fall. I like to use a down blanket inside it. I’m pretty thin and if I was much bigger, I’d go for a long version. It packs up pretty small but is still the biggest item in my pack.

I have this one... https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...30degf-oversized-mummy-sleeping-bag?a=2200701

Got it for a VERY good price (if you look you can find them for around $100) as I did testing for Alpz/Browning and have used it 7 years at elk camp now. The coldest I have been with it was +- -10F but have never been even remotely chilly. It is HUGE (I am 6' 225#) so I put my woobie in the foot box to take up the extra space. It isn't light or compact, but if you are car camping it is a great value.

Back packing is what I plan to use it for. Its for my girlfriend and she is a cold sleeper. Would like to get something with down so its lighter.

I like and use hyke n byke. They can be bought direct or amazon. Really lightweight, great warmth. and generally cheaper than comparable bags. 800 fill or 650. great value. I used the 800 fill 15 degree last year in colorado. temp was about 10 degrees and I had undermanned my tent during that snow storm, but i managed to stay asleep, and moderately warm. generally those temps are survival temps, and mine seemed to be as advertised if not a bit better since i stayed closer to comfortable rather than survival mode. I do sleep warmer though too.

I have a Teton 0 xxl and it’s been very comfortable in stuff down to the teens for me. Actually bought a cabelas mountain trapper today and got it home and fibers were leaking out of all the seams and a good size hole in the shoulder area with lots of fibers coming out. I was very disappointed. I know some guys have had good luck with them, but just my story. I will be returning and not getting a new one. Makes me wonder about their quality control.

If you want to sleep comfortably at 0 degrees, you should be looking for a -20 or -30 degree bag.

I’d say this is sometimes accurate but depends on the sleeping bag manufacturer and the often overlooked but critical component of sleeping comfortably in cold weather: the sleeping pad. Buy a sleeping pad with a high R value like an Neoair X-Therm for cold weather backpack hunts. A high quality sleeping bag from a manufacturer like Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering will absolutely sleep comfortably at the recommended temp rating if used with a warm sleeping pad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back