Would you take it?

teej89

I have a dilemma... I live in an urban area, and to exercise the dog on the weekdays we play and take LONG walks. Well last month I found a new loop and walking it last week I noticed a used 4'x4' block target dumped on the road. First question Is it still shootable?

This is a part where there's no houses and it's not on property it's on the city limits of the road.

It's been over a week and it's still dumped there. Second question, Safe to say it's ok to pick up?

I figured I'll call the local police to see if anyone called in a stolen archery target.

20200706_182353.jpg

doesn’t look very new to me, but probably still has some life. Is it in a rural enough location that someone may just be leaving there and shooting it occasionally?

doesn’t look very new to me, but probably still has some life. Is it in a rural enough location that someone may just be leaving there and shooting it occasionally?

Think it's too used to be worth the effort? I don't know much about em except they're expensive and from use at Indoor ranges

No it's like 30min from downtown Seattle haha

You could spray some expandable foam in there and get some more life out of it if you wanted to. After i shoot the center out of mine I plan to turn it 90 degrees and redo the straps to get some additional life from mine.

When I see something on one of my walks, I give
it a week-then all bets are off. It's mine, all mine! ha,ha,ha,ha,... 💥

Looking at the pic, it seems like someone threw that out right there cuz it's shot out. Kinda the same thing where some dbag throws their used mattress on the side of the road.

If you can move it, it is a nice big backstop. You could hang a $39 bag target in front of the shot up part. Or alternately put a 2" Arrowstop over that portion.

Thanks for adopting that stretch of road...You are doing the public a favor.

Last edited:
This
"Cut the straps on the target, take the foam from the top half and put in on the bottom so the middle of the target is all the un-shot foam, use ratchet straps and it will work like new "

I have cut archery targets in half more than once and then reassembled with the outer portions in the center. I have had decent luck by placing the tongue of my boat on the target to compress it then just tie truckers hitches with rope. You could use ratchet straps to compress it and then use ropes to tie it. I don't worry about hitting the rope with target points and I dead centered a rope this morning while shooting. No real damage to the rope if you shoot the side that has the ropes. Makes a decent target for camp if nothing else.

I think this works better than stuffing plastic bags in the holes and then using spray foam. Plastic bags and spray foam will work for a while.

Depends.. maybe someone just leaves it there until they use it next. I do that with buckets/seats and rifle rests during hunting season sometimes. Just stick them under a bush until I need them again.

Cut the straps on the target, take the foam from the top half and put in on the bottom so the middle of the target is all the un-shot foam, use ratchet straps and it will work like new

^^^This is probably the best Idea. Or you could just shoot the corners.
Also, a new 4x4 Block target is around $800. This target definitely still has value.

I find all kinds of stuff on the side of the road, most of it gets picked up and taken to the dump and I feel good about myself later. I do have 4 fire extinguishers that I've picked up, all in great working order. Take the target, spruce it up like the guy above said, enjoy it for a while, then take it to the dump

This
"Cut the straps on the target, take the foam from the top half and put in on the bottom so the middle of the target is all the un-shot foam, use ratchet straps and it will work like new "

I have cut archery targets in half more than once and then reassembled with the outer portions in the center. I have had decent luck by placing the tongue of my boat on the target to compress it then just tie truckers hitches with rope. You could use ratchet straps to compress it and then use ropes to tie it. I don't worry about hitting the rope with target points and I dead centered a rope this morning while shooting. No real damage to the rope if you shoot the side that has the ropes. Makes a decent target for camp if nothing else.

I think this works better than stuffing plastic bags in the holes and then using spray foam. Plastic bags and spray foam will work for a while.
I used to have a smaller block and when the plywood began to soften I took two pieces of metal strap on the top and bottom and two pieces of threaded rod for the sides and was able to tighten them as needed.

Back