would you buy a new remington

I have two 700's and they shoot sub moa 5 shot groups after I worked on the triggers and floated the barrels. I have also shot a couple of tikkas that my friends own and they shoot very well also...no problem getting a moa group with them either, and they are nice and light for backcountry type hunting. I dont think you would have a problem with either one of those two, I would base it on which one felt the best.

Most remingtons will shoot well with a little work........but you can save yourself some work, and just buy a browning xbolt or A-bolt. They will more than likely shoot well, out of the box, with factory ammo. I have had 2 of them, and they both shot real well with no work.

My experience with a new Rem. Sendero

I recently bought a Remington Sendero, I couldn't get it to shoot a group even at 100yds so I took it to a gunsmith and found a series of problems, the rifleing in the barrel was uneven and very jagged, the bolt lugs were uneven and the action was 6 thousandths out of square. Very poor workmanship if I do say so my self. There was another sendero in the shop with similar problems. When these problems were fixed my rifle shoots sub moa at 500 yrds. For the money I should have bought a custom rifle.

If someone has a new 700 on sale for 360 buy it! Take it directly to a gunsmith put in a new trigger for 100-200 bucks and add a better stock and your still way ahead of most rifles. IMO rifles under $1500 are built not bought. Otherwise, I would second the Savage 110 for out of the box ready to hunt.

Tikka all the way. Do the new Remingtons lock the bolts down, or do they open when you have them over your shoulder and catch a branch?

I've bought 2 Tikka T3's; one for my son in 30-06 and one for my daughter in .270. Gonna buy another one for my gf too. I reload and have come up with a couple of great loads for both rifles, too.

Id take a 700 frame and put a lilja barrel on it, lap it float it and put a burris scope BDR, tune it for 200 yards at 0 , 165 grain nosler or sst in 30-06 or 300 , lilja barrel can be had for around $350.00 and he garauntees 1/4 moa at 100 yards

I've had a lot of Remingtons come through the shop and haven't seen the rifling issue that PEPPER01 describes. It's not that unusual to find actions out of square and lugs "uneven" on many production rifles. For an "out of the box " rifle I'll take a Savage hands down.

Id take a 700 frame and put a lilja barrel on it, lap it float it and put a burris scope BDR, tune it for 200 yards at 0 , 165 grain nosler or sst in 30-06 or 300 , lilja barrel can be had for around $350.00 and he garauntees 1/4 moa at 100 yards

Thats exactly what I did with my .300 Win Mag. Had a 26" lilja with 1/11 twist installed, had the the action trued, trigger work, then had a B&C Alaskan Ti stock installed with action bedded and barrel free floated

I own 3 model 700s and a model 7 - however the last rifle I bought was a Tikka T3 (wood stock). IMO the TIkka is way ahead on trigger, accuracy and just about everything else.

My buddy bought a new .308 tactical Remington. The crown on the rifle was messed up. This rifle is nearly a custom gun. He returned it and got another one. That one shot groups all over the place. The action/barrel connection was messed up. So much for Remington quality control! He wrote a blazing letter to Remington and now he has one that is basically a one-hole shooter.

The most accurate rifle i've shot is my Weatherby Vanguard with wood stock. I was thinking about buying one of the Remington 700 SPS long range rifles i saw in Cabela's.But after researching i've seen alot of bad comments about the Rem. I think I'll just get another Weatherby in differet caliber

Find a used remington 700 at a pawn shop for $350 put a Banser or McMillan ($500 all done) on it see how it shoots the re barrel if needed and you'll be money ahead I' never buy a new gun with cheap used ones out there.

As I stated earlier, my model 700 is a shooter, BUT it does seem more cheaply-built than the older rifles.

I can't gripe about the accuracy, though.

Back