Caribou Gear Tarp

Worst possible outcome

Bigjay73

Pretty sure all of us who carry have pondered this scenario. Poor bastard, poor cop who shot him.

Tragic. I have thought about that scenario. If I ever find myself in that position I hope I have the clarity of mind to drop the gun as soon as the threat is neutralized and lay on the ground until the police have things sorted out.

So much this. Sad deal.

This is tragic, to be sure, and his courage is laudable.
Sometimes it is better to be the "best witness" in situations, than to engage.
Can't argue that. How many situations would we even be able to decipher who's the good guy, who's the bad guy? Guy did the right thing, had some stones for sure, as you said, tragic.

I don’t understand why he decided to pick up the AR-15. Maybe he thought he was taking control of it to render it safe. I’m sure he made the decision in a split second and had adrenaline overload. Not an ideal move to be the person holding the AR-15 when more police are responding to an active shooter scenario. A very tragic outcome.

In 2019 I was riding my dirt bike and came across an older guy chasing a young girl in the woods. She was terrified and jumped in front of me on the trail.

I held dude with threat of death by pistol until police arrived. It didn't start that way, but he was acting crazy and started coming toward me. When they got there (parked 100 yards away on a dirt road) I already had my vest/shirt off and no weapons in my hands, hands out and raised over my head.

They approached me with an AR15 on one guy and pistol on the other. Not a time to appear as a threat.

The FIRST thing to do if the criminal threat is over is to disarm, or at the very least find a way to not look like a threat to others. Everyone is a dangerous threat on an arned suspect call until things are sorted out.

P.S. Cool South Carolina cops never even asked to see my concealed carry once they cleared me for weapons (my pistol was on the ground in my vest). They apologized for covering me with the AR. I told them I was thankful they were professional. I told the girl before they got there not to freak out if they held me at gunpoint when they got there, as it was standard procedure; we would get it all straight after they secured the scene.

Last edited:
Adrenaline rush.
Inexperience.
Fear.
Excitement.

This is also called an "OODA" Loop.
"observe - orient - decide - act"

Bad enough for the good Samaritan who lost his life.
Absolutely horrendous for the officer.
Can you imagine going to bed each night with that one decision on your mind?
Can a "shrink" ever help him come to terms with the results of his actions?

Four lives lost.
One still living.

Many people can move on from horrendous events. The officer observed a man with a rifle on an active shooter/cop killer call.

It's a bad situation, but my best guess is that the family will forgive the officer, and eventually he will forgive himself.

“Finally, it is clear that the suspect bears responsibility for this tragic sequence of events”

I agree with this quote from the article and Arvada Police 100%.

Adrenaline rush.
Inexperience.
Fear.
Excitement.

This is also called an "OODA" Loop.
"observe - orient - decide - act"

Bad enough for the good Samaritan who lost his life.
Absolutely horrendous for the officer.
Can you imagine going to bed each night with that one decision on your mind?
Can a "shrink" ever help him come to terms with the results of his actions?

Four lives lost.
One still living.

Time and counseling can relieve amazing anxiety for many (most?) people. Recognizing that, while tragic, this was a chaotic situation requiring quick decision-making. Under stress and time-constraints, the human brain isn't capable of always making the right decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back