PEAX Equipment

World Slam by the time your 8

SJ

It is only common for all hunters to set goals for themselves, but 6-year-old Hunter Black set a goal that according to the records of the National Wild Turkey Federation only 66 out of an estimated 2.6 million hunters have set for themselves. Hunter Black set his sights on the World Slam Of Turkey Hunting.

In 2002, Hunter completed the Grand Slam of Turkey Hunting at age seven, by harvesting the Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grand and Merriam's species. In 2003, Hunter became the youngest hunter to complete the Royal Slam of Turkey Hunting at age eight, by harvesting the Gould's species in Chihuahua, Mexico.

On March 21, 2004, 8-Year Old Hunter Black of Rochester, PA has become the youngest hunter to complete thew orld slam of turkey hunting. Hunter broke the record by two years that was previously set in 2003. Hunter Black successfully harvested the Ocellated species in the state of Campeche in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. Hunter Black's name would be added to the elite list of hunters that have all the 6 species of turkeys that make up the world slam of turkey hunting.

Hunting with Jorge Sansores of Snook Inn Hunting on the first day of the hunt, Hunter found himself waiting for his guide to entice the beautiful ocellated turkey within range of his 20 gauge Mossberg shotgun. After what seemed like hours, but actually was minutes Hunter's guide sweet-talked the ocellated turkey within range. With the nerves of a veteran hunter, Hunter carefully squeezed the trigger, and in that instant the dreams of this 8-year-old hunter had been fulfilled. After a great deal of hugs and high fives from Hunter's parents and guides, Hunter retrieved his trophy.

Most hunters harvest their Ocellated turkeys by shooting them out of the roost, but Hunter had the unique opportunity of hunting his Ocellated in the fields, and calling the bird into range as we are used to here in the states. This allowed the opportunity to get some really unique video footage. Hunter's second ocellated turkey was harvested on film, with the guide calling the bird over 100 yards across a harvested cornfield.

"I know it sounds weird to some people, but this really is all Hunter's idea," says his mother, Sherree Black. "Hunting isn't new to him; it's what our family does. Both his father and I have been hunting since we were 12. That's even how we met." "We've been taking him along since he was eight months old and he loves the travel and the whole family experience. It's so much fun planning and working together," says his father Aaron Black.

Such achievements at such a young age, where does one go from here you may ask? If you ask such a question to Hunter, he replies, " I love spending time in the woods with my family. I'll let you know as soon as I make up my mind." For now, Hunter and his parents are enjoying their time hunting and traveling together trying to get other youngsters involved in Hunter's favorite sport.

If you would like to learn more about Hunter exploits, find great equipment made specifically for young hunters, or visit some of his Sponsor's websites. Please visit Hunter's website at www.hunterblack.com.

Pretty cool what can be done if you have enough money.

Oh, alright...good for the kid. I probably cound not have killed one at age eight even if I had a hired guide put it in my lap.

I'm glad the kid's a hunter, but I really don't believe a 7 year old comes up with an idea like that without his parents planting it and encouraging it. It's kinda like that 8 year old girl who was going to try to be the youngest kid to fly across the country and got killed, along with her father and instructor when they crashed. I think that was her father's idea, not the girl's.

That is a great achievment for some one so young, and yes I would bet the parents had a lot of money and seeds to put this youngster in all of the right places...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back