Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Women’s hunting apparel

several members ask me to respond and my first thought is

Good for you ! I love entrepreneurs ! During my active hunting years I didn't have the options that are available to women today and therefore I either had my clothes custom made, or had mens clothing alerted to fit me.

So, I ask my granddaughters and their response's were -- Forloh, Sitka, DSG, Prois, First Lite and one said she loved the all weather jacket she got from Canada Goose .

If you should travel to Georgia or Florida try to set aside some time to visit Kevin's, not just for the clothes, although they have some for women, but other hunting items as well.

Good luck !

Brent, Harley, Ben Lamb, you guys (and others ) would also enjoy this store. ( Kevin's Guns--for you guys )

gosh thank you and @Panda Bear so much for the encouragement and feedback! I think I finally made my 10 posts so I can make a thread and not hijack others for more input :)

several members ask me to respond and my first thought is

Good for you ! I love entrepreneurs ! During my active hunting years I didn't have the options that are available to women today and therefore I either had my clothes custom made, or had mens clothing alerted to fit me.

So, I ask my granddaughters and their response's were -- Forloh, Sitka, DSG, Prois, First Lite and one said she loved the all weather jacket she got from Canada Goose .

If you should travel to Georgia or Florida try to set aside some time to visit Kevin's, not just for the clothes, although they have some for women, but other hunting items as well.

Good luck !

Brent, Harley, Ben Lamb, you guys (and others ) would also enjoy this store. ( Kevin's Guns--for you guys )
I have helped women find hunting and adventuring clothes for decades and also currently would recommend Kevins for quality good looking women’s clothes.

Europe, I have a hunch your safari clothes may have been Willis & Geiger altered men’s wear. Don’t think you are old enough to be kitted out by Ahamed Brothers in Nairobi. Kindest Regards

The best of luck if you decide to start an apparel line. Just as another thought, kids hunting gear can be underrepresented as well. For some background that the bank might want, go take a look at the increase in women hunter numbers. Try the National Shooting Sports Foundation and there are also other reports out there that google will find for ya. the market is getting bigger!

The best of luck if you decide to start an apparel line. Just as another thought, kids hunting gear can be underrepresented as well. For some background that the bank might want, go take a look at the increase in women hunter numbers. Try the National Shooting Sports Foundation and there are also other reports out there that google will find for ya. the market is getting bigger!
thanks so much! definitely a great call on the kids stuff. I have kid’s bibs and they get the job done but were just about the only pair I could find! really appreciate the info!

Excellent advise . Look for a niche or a void or whatever you want to call it in todays market--and fill it ! If you offer something no one else is offering, business will come your way and then it can be expanded to include the items everyone else is selling. Not just a new mousetrap, but a void in the market at this time. I am just too old and dont currently buy anything anymore, so I dont have any "sell this!" suggestions. Remember the names I gave you earlier were from my grandchildren. Whatever you do, make a quality product, right from the get -go!

Cheyenne, you take June on a free Polar Bear hunt and I will buy you a Canada Goose Jacket :cool: Seriously, I am glad that is coming together, all that stands in the way now is this stupid virus

happy myles :) Names that bring back wonderful memories, but alas I NEVER dressed like Meryl ( or Karen ):) In the very beginning, we found stuff for me in London and South Africa. It was amazing how fast something could be made and/or altered with the proper amount of U.S. dollars in Cape Town, at that time. Good times, good memories, thank you for the post. There are several gentlemen here who have hunted Africa. Always enjoy hearing their stories.

Guy, you almost made it and after this virus thing is in the rear view mirror you hopefully will get there. good luck

Excellent advise . Look for a niche or a void or whatever you want to call it in todays market--and fill it ! If you offer something no one else is offering, business will come your way and then it can be expanded to include the items everyone else is selling. Not just a new mousetrap, but a void in the market at this time. I am just too old and dont currently buy anything anymore, so I dont have any "sell this!" suggestions. Remember the names I gave you earlier were from my grandchildren. Whatever you do, make a quality product, right from the get -go!

Cheyenne, you take June on a free Polar Bear hunt and I will buy you a Canada Goose Jacket :cool: Seriously, I am glad that is coming together, all that stands in the way now is this stupid virus

happy myles :) Names that bring back wonderful memories, but alas I NEVER dressed like Meryl ( or Karen ):) In the very beginning, we found stuff for me in London and South Africa. It was amazing how fast something could be made and/or altered with the proper amount of U.S. dollars in Cape Town, at that time. Good times, good memories, thank you for the post. There are several gentlemen here who have hunted Africa. Always enjoy hearing their stories.

Guy, you almost made it and after this virus thing is in the rear view mirror you hopefully will get there. good luck
Yes, definitely the goal! Trying to fill the void that I personally came across when trying to find gear for myself. Nothing is just quite what I want!

High on my list of needs:

Cuts and sizes that accommodate curves

4 way stretch for freedom of movement. I hate feeling constricted when climbing, crawling, bending, running, sitting

Moisture repellent fabrics

Wicking/breatheable fabrics. Biggest downside of Prois IMO is it doesn’t breathe well.

Warmth without bulk

Lots of layering options. I need my gear to cover as much range as possible between 50 degree early season birds to -20 stationary coyote calling.

Durability. I put on lots of miles.

So far, First Lite checks the most boxes for me. I supplement with women’s gear from non-hunting brands.

High on my list of needs:

Cuts and sizes that accommodate curves

4 way stretch for freedom of movement. I hate feeling constricted when climbing, crawling, bending, running, sitting

Moisture repellent fabrics

Wicking/breatheable fabrics. Biggest downside of Prois IMO is it doesn’t breathe well.

Warmth without bulk

Lots of layering options. I need my gear to cover as much range as possible between 50 degree early season birds to -20 stationary coyote calling.

Durability. I put on lots of miles.

So far, First Lite checks the most boxes for me. I supplement with women’s gear from non-hunting brands.
Love all of this. I feel the same way. A system that works together, that’s light weight would be great for women hunters. Definitely hearing this!

If anyone would like to message me with some feedback, feel free. What issues you have with fit, what kind of layers you wear or would like, what kind of boots you wear. Any input is welcome.
It would be wonderful to see more hunting gear and apparel made especially for female hunters! As a petite woman, it has been such a challenge finding clothing that fits. I have even had to go so far as to buy kid-sized game vests (the plus side being that they cost less than the adult sizes). First Lite makes some amazing gear for women, and I do appreciate that their pant lengths are short enough that even I can wear them without alteration. That being said, their line of mens apparel far outranks in quantity what they offer for women. I would love to see a clothing company that offered women the high-grade wool gear that First Lite does - particularly base layers - as well as game vests (both orange and camo), etc. True cold weather gloves that fit small hands are a market that has yet to be tapped, and something that I still struggle with finding. Finally, my biggest complaint about many companies that cater to women hunters is that I feel like I am still seeing a lot of the "leggings and pink coloring" that companies think we want. The only "hunting leggings" this woman will be wearing out in the field will be earth-toned thick wool base layers covered by actual pants, thank you very much.

Back