Woman's hunting experience

beginnerhunter

Really enjoyed hearing the perspective of these hunters. With YouTube, you'd think there would be more female shows on there. I'd watch one if it were about the hunting and only implicitly about the woman aspect.

Do you really hunt? I agree part of this is the gramworthy posting by women selling their looks more than the actual hunting content. People can see through that. The other reason men ask is, if they have a small sample size (wife, sisters) who have NO interest in hunting, they think most women are the same way.

Shrink it and pink it. I mean, to each her own I guess. Slapping pink on something doesn't change anything but I do think clothing, guns, gear, etc. should be designed specifically for the frame of a woman.

Did you cry? Not sure women cry much more than men after a kill. Depends on the circumstances, how hard I've tried, or relief if it was a bad shot and I was able to recover the animal.

Sorry not sorry. Idk, hunt with men or women, doesn't matter to me. Always good to have another packer regardless of sex, right? Question didn't seem that controversial to me. Fathers do need to be more inclusive with their daughters and not just assume they dont want any part of it.

Hunter/huntress. This seems related to the first question. If I woman wants to call herself a huntress and put on makeup/hair and pose with a rifle I won't stop her. If she wants to fart and burp and poop in the woods all the while referring to herself as a huntress, that's cool too.

Women seem to put a lot of self-imposed restrictions on what they should be doing or how to behave or present themselves. Theres never been a better time for a woman to get into hunting. They should take advantage of the opportunity to learn. Go get it and have fun!

I'll add that these women were all much more capable than me. There certainly is a pride factor for men that keeps them from seeking out help to improve their skillset. Men dont want to admit they need remedial backcountry education.

Definitely an interesting subject. Honestly on both sides of the mentor/mentee, coach/athlete, guide/client relationship I have found working with women to be much easier. Relationships just tend to be more professional, women seem to listen better and/or take more time to explain things.

At this point I know more men that have picked up hunting, as adults, on their own but I know far more women who are very capable in the back-country. Not sure what the disconnect is, maybe a stigma around firearms?

Sorry not sorry. Idk, hunt with men or women, doesn't matter to me. Always good to have another packer regardless of sex, right? Question didn't seem that controversial to me. Fathers do need to be more inclusive with their daughters and not just assume they dont want any part of it.

100% Agree. I think one something that men need to be conscious, is not only negative sexism i.e. saying "women are weak", or excluding them, but also what could be considered positive sexism i.e. offering to carry their daughters gear or if their daughter is complaining about being uncomfortable (cold/tired/hungry) giving in and not making them push through it. I coached fairly high level skiing and I constantly had to remind myself to treat the girls just the same as the boys, react the same way to 10 year old girls getting bloody noses, knocking the wind out of themselves, dislocations, blown knees, etc as the boys. It's tough watching a little girl come up short on a backflip, smash her face into the ground, get up in tears with blood all over her face, and then have to tell her to wipe up the blood with snow and then hike up and try again.

Last edited:
100% Agree. I think one something that men need to be conscious, is not only negative sexism i.e. saying "women are weak", or excluding them, but also what could be considered positive sexism i.e. offering to carry their daughters gear or if their daughter is complaining about being uncomfortable (cold/tired/hungry) giving in and not making them push through it. I coached fairly high level skiing and I constantly had to remind myself to treat the girls just the same as the boys react the same way to 10 year old girls getting bloody noses, knocking the wind out of themselves, dislocations, blown knees, etc as the boys. It's tough watching a little girl come up short on a backflip, smash her face into the ground, get up in tears with blood all over her face, and then have to tell her to wipe up the blood with snow and then hike up and try again.

Never thought about that side of the equation. I figured there would come a point where I'd have to tell my son to power through the pain. Will have to remember to tell my daughter the same thing.

I have two daughters and a wife and I am actively trying to recruit all three of them to be hunters. It is a selfish impulse. They are the people I most enjoy spending my time with so if I can get them interested in hunting I don't have to feel like that pursuit is taking me away from them. I surely hope that when my daughters are my age they can be teaching their sons and daughters all about hunting like I am trying to do for them now.

Both of my daughters have been exposed to hunting/fishing their whole life as I would include them as much as possible being a dad that shared their care with their mother. They are adults now and one loves to fish/camp and the other does everything outdoors related to include hunting. I wanted them to experience what it is really like to hunt not just come along for the ride and eat cookies, although you do have to make it fun somehow when they were younger. We all became closer as a family and they understand the role hunters play in keeping the landscapes healthy. We need more women hunters and all of us men should try and encourage women we know to experience the outdoors as we have. Plant a seed it may turn into your best hunting partner.

My wife is a great hunting partner. Big game and waterfowl. She can and has field dressed her own deer many times. I have come home from work to find her buck hanging in the garage - all done by herself. We have hunted caribou together in James Bay in -20 F weather. She is considerably more patient than I am, and super fussy about waiting for the best shot to take. She joined a woman's skeet club to improve her wing shooting. I have mentored young ladies participating in youth waterfowl and deer hunting seasons. Always a great time. I welcome the ladies on any of my hunts.

I guess I’ve had hit and miss experiences hunting with other women. It frustrates me. Some of it I think stems from what @wllm1313 said above. I know there are women out there who hunt like I like to hunt, but I’ve never actually met one.

There have been times that I’ve met other female hunters, and they think it would be great if we went hunting together. So I’ve gone. Not once has it felt like I was hunting with a partner. It has always been more like I was trying to hunt with someone following me around while I did everything. They couldn’t really function without being told what to do. Which is fine, but not what I expected when hunting with another “experienced” hunter. Very different than the same experience but going with a male partner.

I think it stems from men “taking” their women hunting, rather than actually teaching them to hunt. Sounds like semantics, but it makes a world of difference in how someone participates in the sport.

So guys, if you take them make sure you are teaching them too. Teach them everything...from where to find game to how to pack it out. Make them work for it. Make them stick it out. Make them used to being uncomfortable. Just like you would teach your sons.

I guess I’ve had hit and miss experiences hunting with other women. It frustrates me. Some of it I think stems from what @wllm1313 said above. I know there are women out there who hunt like I like to hunt, but I’ve never actually met one.

There have been times that I’ve met other female hunters, and they think it would be great if we went hunting together. So I’ve gone. Not once has it felt like I was hunting with a partner. It has always been more like I was trying to hunt with someone following me around while I did everything. They couldn’t really function without being told what to do. Which is fine, but not what I expected when hunting with another “experienced” hunter. Very different than the same experience but going with a male partner.

I think it stems from men “taking” their women hunting, rather than actually teaching them to hunt. Sounds like semantics, but it makes a world of difference in how someone participates in the sport.

So guys, if you take them make sure you are teaching them too. Teach them everything...from where to find game to how to pack it out. Make them work for it. Make them stick it out. Make them used to being uncomfortable. Just like you would teach your sons.
I think you are exactly right.

I completely agree, but what I'm leery of is finding the right balance. This will be the first hunting season with my girl friend and she is interested in learning. While I think it's a great thing, I am nervous about pushing her too hard.
In many of my hunts the physical part of it sucks especially early season. It's hot, there are a lot of mosquitos and snakes, often walking long distances through water, briars, and vines; it's not a pleasurable experience. Yes, if I am taking my nephew hunting it's an easier hunt, but I'm treating him as a child. I don't want to treat her as a child. Do I treat her same as my nephew? Or teach her the work that is involved for the most of my hunting?

Last edited:
I think the key is spending enough time with anyone you are mentoring to understand their level of desire and confidence and tailor the experience to push their limitations without damaging their confidence.
For my wife and daughter who are both accomplished hunters spending time together has always been just about as important as filling tags. They could do it on their own but are more successful with me. I enjoy being a part of their success and they enjoy the shared experience.

The different aspects of what makes hunting meaningful don't have to be exclusionary.

I completely agree, but what I'm leery of is finding the right balance. This will be the first hunting season with my girl friend and she is interested in learning. While I think it's a great thing, I am nervous about pushing her too hard.
In many of my hunts the physical part of it sucks especially early season. It's hot, there are a lot of mosquitos and snakes, often walking long distances through water, briars, and vines; it's not a pleasurable experience. Yes, if I am taking my nephew hunting it's an easier hunt, but I'm treating him as a child. I don't want to treat her as a child. Do I treat her same as my nephew? Or teach her the work that is involved for the most of my hunting?

Spouses are different than kids or even friends for that matter. I think what @Hunting Wife was driving at was that if your GF wants to be able to hunt by herself help her acquire the skills she needs. If your getting a deer don’t show her how to do give her the knife and talk her through it, just like you would your nephew.

Spouses are different than kids or even friends for that matter. I think what @Hunting Wife was driving at was that if your GF wants to be able to hunt by herself help her acquire the skills she needs. If your getting a deer don’t show her how to do give her the knife and talk her through it, just like you would your nephew.

Well I feel like I did good with that just a couple hours ago. Had some hogs in the trap this morning. We can hang them to skin, but I prefer to take practice in field quartering. Only 2 this time instead of the usual 4 so we could take our time. My buddy cleaned the one he wanted and me and Ashley cleaned the other.
I quartered the first half of the pig while explaining what I was doing. Flipped it and she did most of the rest of the other side while I held a leg and gave her some pointers.

841A23BB-D72D-4F9C-8940-C3B7EFD02E71.jpeg

Excellent points. I agree 100%

Obviously it depends on when, how and where one was raised. On a ranch in Arizona in the 40's, hunting, fishing, and every thing that needed to be done, all the way to the frying pan was a way of life. But many, possibly most ,now have to plan time to go to the range, and to hunt, I dare say that some may spend more time "getting there" than we did hunting, sometimes after school and chores. Plus when your trying to spend time with your child you are competing with phones, computers, "electronics" but with that being said, I still agree with everything hunting wife said.

beginner hunter ----shrink it. There is, as you know, more to it than that, but I do believe females will enjoy the sport more if everything fits, from boots to rifles
pink it. if that is all it takes to get a young female involved , I say pink it. If she stays in the sport she will grow out of it

I wish I was 10, even 5 years younger and I would ask hunting wife if I could go bird hunting with her and her dog. Loved that picture of the prairie, pond, dog and birds. I would even volunteer to do everything after the birds are down, all the way to the supper table. ( opps, probably should have said Dinner ) The evening meal, how about that (-:

Really enjoyed hearing the perspective of these hunters. With YouTube, you'd think there would be more female shows on there. I'd watch one if it were about the hunting and only implicitly about the woman aspect.

Do you really hunt? I agree part of this is the gramworthy posting by women selling their looks more than the actual hunting content. People can see through that. The other reason men ask is, if they have a small sample size (wife, sisters) who have NO interest in hunting, they think most women are the same way.

Shrink it and pink it. I mean, to each her own I guess. Slapping pink on something doesn't change anything but I do think clothing, guns, gear, etc. should be designed specifically for the frame of a woman.

Did you cry? Not sure women cry much more than men after a kill. Depends on the circumstances, how hard I've tried, or relief if it was a bad shot and I was able to recover the animal.

Hunter/huntress. This seems related to the first question. If I woman wants to call herself a huntress and put on makeup/hair and pose with a rifle I won't stop her. If she wants to fart and burp and poop in the woods all the while referring to herself as a huntress, that's cool too.

Women seem to put a lot of self-imposed restrictions on what they should be doing or how to behave or present themselves. Theres never been a better time for a woman to get into hunting. They should take advantage of the opportunity to learn. Go get it and have fun!

interesting and I see several agreed or "liked" the post. So my post will be in the minority

I have hunted all my life and have hunted with women quite often as well and have never seen

a pink rifle or a women cry after shooting an animal. However, like HUNTINGWIFE, if they dont carry their own weight they dont go with me again, bu this is true regardless, man or woman.

However, it is true that fewer and fewer young people, men and women are electing to remain in the villages and live the life their parents lived. Many leave for college or a job and never return.

interesting and I see several agreed or "liked" the post. So my post will be in the minority

I have hunted all my life and have hunted with women quite often as well and have never seen

a pink rifle or a women cry after shooting an animal. However, like HUNTINGWIFE, if they dont carry their own weight they dont go with me again, bu this is true regardless, man or woman.

However, it is true that fewer and fewer young people, men and women are electing to remain in the villages and live the life their parents lived. Many leave for college or a job and never return.

Well I cry a lot. A good commercial will make me cry. Like the pheonix online commercial where the woman watches everyone in her workplace being replaced by robots until she gets laid off. Has a cranberries cover song in the background. Gets me every time.

beginning hunter. in defense of Panda's post or perhaps to just explain her comment a tad better. I believe she was only speaking about crying in relation to the original comment regarding watching an animal die, that you were responsible for killing. She hunts and traps and has all her life so I am sure crying while watching an animal die is a bit foreign to her, unless perhaps it was one of her sled dogs, then maybe (-;

As for crying in general, I am with you. I cried when I got my first car, cried with my daughter when she got her first car, cried when my grandchildren were born, cried when my husband passed, I cry every time a Ferrari with an Eagle song playing from the radio is close to me, especially if I am not in the car. I get it

beginning hunter. in defense of Panda's post or perhaps to just explain her comment a tad better. I believe she was only speaking about crying in relation to the original comment regarding watching an animal die, that you were responsible for killing. She hunts and traps and has all her life so I am sure crying while watching an animal die is a bit foreign to her, unless perhaps it was one of her sled dogs, then maybe (-;

As for crying in general, I am with you. I cried when I got my first car, cried with my daughter when she got her first car, cried when my grandchildren were born, cried when my husband passed, I cry every time a Ferrari with an Eagle song playing from the radio is close to me, especially if I am not in the car. I get it

I cry if I spill my Beer,especially if i's the last one!Ha!Ha!
Feeling remorse or even sadness for taking the life of another
living being is only natural.Every animal I take I stop and give
thanks to that animal for giving me sustinence and memories
to last me a lifetime.🔥

I think the key is spending enough time with anyone you are mentoring to understand their level of desire and confidence and tailor the experience to push their limitations without damaging their confidence.
For my wife and daughter who are both accomplished hunters spending time together has always been just about as important as filling tags. They could do it on their own but are more successful with me. I enjoy being a part of their success and they enjoy the shared experience.

The different aspects of what makes hunting meaningful don't have to be exclusionary.

Good point. Not everyone wants to hunt 60 days out of the year and climb 5000 vert feet a day. That’s ok. One could say unless they do something really physically and emotionally demanding then that person is not pushing themselves enough. I don’t buy it. There is certainly tremendous value in pushing your limits to see what your made of and I enjoy that, but there is also tremendous value in just spending time outdoors, enjoying nature, and spending time with those you love. Hunting should push us, more or less, but we should also enjoy the experience. I have to remind myself of that principle yearly.

She wasn't exactly crying and a few moments later she was actually smiling. Still, she doesn't like killing. Actually, she no longer hunts, but she gave it a honest try for several years and killed several deer, squirrels, and pheasant. Fair enough.

Ts first deer.jpg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back