Wolves in ID

Maxxis31

I will be hunting 39 with my bow in November. If I fill my tag early I would like to go try to find a wolf to kill, where is the best place to see a wolf in ID besides the Frank? I am thinking Hells canyon and try to glass some up. We were able to call in a pack in the FC last fall but that was Sept and there will be too much snow to get there mid November.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think there are many wolves in Hells Canyon. There are wolves in 39. In November, they'll be following the elk herds. If they're is enough weather to cause the elk to migrate, you can hunt them on the same ridges as deer.

You can also find plenty of wolves in the Sawtooths around Stanley.

Yea, 39 has wolves, or go up around Garden Valley, Lowman, Stanley, Bear, they will be following the migrating herds of elk! I would have one in my pocket even while elk hunting...
Matt

I would snow shoe or cross country ski the forest roads after it snows in the northern part of the unit. Near the North Fork area.

The IDF&G web site shows the approximate area of wolf packs. For your hunt, Thorne Creek Butte and Shaffer Butte would be two I know about.

I've seen track within 5mi of the freeway on the flats in December.
The next week that same woof was probably on the ridge tops above lucky peak.
The point is they are wolves they roam like nothing I've even seen.
We had one just across the border from me in Adrian Oregon just hanging out in row crop fields for a month then he left. Where did he come from? Where did he go to? Who knows he's just being a wolf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back