Wolf sighting...

ELKCHSR

I was on my way to pick up my wife the other night, and right beside the freeway was a wolf getting ready to run across the road when I went past. I finally got ahold of the Wolf boy's in Helena and the gentleman told me that some of the younger males were on the move and that they were very interested in the sighting...
So now, I guess I have a packet of some form coming in the mail about what they are about I guess. I will post more when I get it...

It was right on I-90 just about 50 feet west of the 214 mile marker reading to cross the East bound lane.. What I noticed first was the yellow eyes along the road, at first I thought it was a small animal, but the eyes were to close together and they glow a bright gold/yellow color in the lights of the truck...
:D

Nah, that's no wolf. They are staying within the boundaries of the park.

On another note, I saw what I am sure was a wolf near Eagle, CO a while back. I told someone and they said nope, probably just a coyote. Ummmm, sorry, but I have seen plenty of coyotes, and this was not one.

Tim

I was sent a big packet of stuff from one of the individuals that are in the middle of chasing down sightings. I was going to post it because I thought it would be a few pages, it is about half inch thick. There is some things in it that I could post. For example, the total head count for the lower 48 right now is 761 wolves. There is actually a lot of good info in it and I will see what I can pull up and share...

By the lower 48 I think you mean MT, ID, WY... and are not including the couple thousand wolves in MN and WI ;)

I like it how they have the numbers down to a single animal... Kink of like the pack they wiped out over by Ennis that was "previously unknown"!!! I would be surprised if they have a clue with in 50, it's probably closer to within a 100.

How about this, the biologists have no clue as to how many mountain lions there are but they can tell us down to a single animal how many wolves there are? They seem to be able to guestemate lion populations within about a 1000 or so by state, but don't know for sure. Pretty much every statistic that Alaska has put out on wolves shows thier population fluctuating over 25% or more on thier guesses!

Was there skid marks before or after the wolf?

LOL!!!! He was to far off the road, well I wasn't sure if it was actaully a he... ;)
I am only posting it as the packet I recieved from them that are in this for a living are willing to post it to the public...

Yeh, There were not any "wolves" in Oregon until alot of big "feral dogs" kept getting shot. Now there "might be" some from Idaho. And it is illigal to shoot wolves that don't exist, but are spotted pretty regularly. I can't wait until are deer and elk herds suffer more. I guess "Cougars, Coyotes and bears oh my" were not enough. sss

Funding of Wolf Recovery

Wolf recovery in the Northern Rocky Mountains from 1973 thruough 2003 cost about $16,782,000 (with no adjustments for inflation). If recovery continues at the current rate and management costs remain within predictions, wolf delisting should be completed in 2005 at an additional cost to taxpayers of 1,200,000 annually for 2004 and 2005. The total cost for the restoration, management, recovery, and delisting of wolves between 1973 and 2005 should be less than $20,000,000
Page 31 paragraph 4

Back