Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wisconsin Bobcat

We are around 120,000 individual applicants every year now.
Other than having to wait so long for a tag, it's a good thing that there are so many hunters applying because hunter numbers seem to be dying across the country at varying rates. Have you considered going to MN? There are some non draw units there. I went in 2008, of course I was hunting for a TV show at the time so the state gave us tags. I've heard it's fairly easy in some of those areas though.

Other than having to wait so long for a tag, it's a good thing that there are so many hunters applying because hunter numbers seem to be dying across the country at varying rates. Have you considered going to MN? There are some non draw units there. I went in 2008, of course I was hunting for a TV show at the time so the state gave us tags. I've heard it's fairly easy in some of those areas though.
My taxidermist mentioned MN, but without any connection to a good guide there, I’ll probably wait it out here for the next 12-15 years. I think, if my research is correct, MN shot up their bears pretty good several years ago as well. And, unfortunately, I think WI is on the same track. My last bear hunt here is the reason I started looking elsewhere to hunt. I decided to drive through MN on my way to WY and SD to hunt pronghorn, eventually deer, and maybe elk.

All that said, we make bear hunting WAY TOO CHEAP for nonresidents. Start buying points, it’s a good value and likely not changing anytime soon, unfortunately.

Zone D has lots of bears but they are all run by hounds. I don't know anyone that sits over bait. Waiting that long for a Zone B hunt seems like a waste for the quality of the hunt. There is only a 10% success rate in B.

Zone D has lots of bears but they are all run by hounds. I don't know anyone that sits over bait. Waiting that long for a Zone B hunt seems like a waste for the quality of the hunt. There is only a 10% success rate in B.
We’ve got a pretty good guy in B. Dad and brothers and I have taken 6 bears on 6 tags with an average just over 350 pounds dressed. Half over bait and half with dogs. Two went around 20.5”, one right at 20” and another at 19 15/16. For us it’s been worth the wait. That average includes a 297 pound sow (still a top 3 regret of my hunting life - long story). Just hope our guys are still doing it when I pull my next tag.

Zone C has the success rate of 10/15% the northern zone's are 50/60%.

Nice cat. They are never easy with hounds. Quite an accomplishment

Back