Wintering Elk

ERSS

I am out of the country this winter, but hear there is record snow in the Yellowstone area. My wife and kids went up to Jackson Wy the other day and checked out the wintering elk herds in Alpine and Jackson. She said the snow is deeper than it has been for years and the elk are looking pretty slim. Being only January, it looks like we might be in for a big winterkill this year. Anyone else been seeing any wintering herds and noticed thier condition? Attached are a couple photos of a Big Bull on the Alpine Wy wintering ground. Nice bull, pretty thin though. Hope he makes it through, so I can find him next fall!!!

Attachments

• =iso-8859-1''Copy of elk farm.jpg
    =iso-8859-1''Copy of elk farm.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 338
  • =iso-8859-1''elk head on.JPG
    =iso-8859-1''elk head on.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 337
  • =iso-8859-1''elk head turned.JPG
    =iso-8859-1''elk head turned.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 337
Fixed one picture

Just realized that broadside shot was not right, here it is again.

Attachments

• =iso-8859-1''Copy of elk farm.jpg
    =iso-8859-1''Copy of elk farm.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 277
Hadn't heard about the Yellowstone snow situation. Parts of CO and Southern WY have quite a bit of snow this year.

Thats a nice bull, but he doesn't look to healthy.

Here on the Idaho side of the park we're sitting pretty much at a normal, to maybe just slightly below normal winter. Personally I think its still rediculously cold and snowy, not sure why people choose to live in wintery climates, yuck. That said it warmed up a little last night and started melting. Thats a good bull, hopefully he makes it through and then moves to Idaho.

I know its snowed more here in Boise then it has in years past. Kind of nice for a change... But like the animals, I'm ready for spring !!

Nice pictures, thanx !!!

We looked at the Jackson herd last weekend. There wasn't as many elk on the range as the prior year, but the "big" storm has just hit and they figured their count was off. I thought the overall body condition was normal, although it is definitely colder than normal and there is lots of snow. Its gonna be a long winter for the critters.

Whats so tough about this winter for the animals is that we have been in a drought for so long that they just don't have as much to eat. Have to work harder for the food they normally depend on in normal years.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back