Winter project - Cabin stair

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

I started this project in November and finally got them installed this weekend on mY cabin in Wyoming.

The Shall Creek fire came through a couple of years ago and burned a good portion of the timber on my land. It was a fast moving and hot fire and really did a great job of cleaning the place up. There were many beetle killed trees prior and the fire simply burned the needles and bark and left good solid standing wood. The log for this project all came from the same tree on my property. I cut the tree down in November and debarked them on site.

After getting the logs back home I peeled the logs down to clean wood with a draw knife. I then used a portable sawmill attachment on my chain saw to split the tread logs and flatten one side of the stringer logs. All the logs for the treads were at least 13" in diameter so once I flatten the edges to prevent splitting I was left with an 11" tread width. I attached the treads to the stringers with 12' lag bolts and countersunk the heads. I then cut plug caps from a small tree and plugged the holes. This gives the appearance that the treads are pinned to the stringers with wooden dowels. The chain saw leaves a rough surface when splitting the logs which I think works great for outside stairs treads to give a little better traction. I stained the logs a natural color rather than the darker color on the cabin siding. I like this look better. All in all it was a fun project. This was my first log project. Not sure what I will try next.

Attachments

• debarked log.jpg
    debarked log.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 292
  • peeled logs.jpg
    peeled logs.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 296
  • sawmill4.jpg
    sawmill4.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 297
  • tread1.jpg
    tread1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 2ndstep.jpg
    2ndstep.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 293
  • completed stairs.jpg
    completed stairs.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 294
  • install1.jpg
    install1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 293
  • install3.jpg
    install3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 295
I like them a lot! How did you dry them or did the fire do an adequate job?? What kind of sawmill do you have and how big of a saw are you running?

I like them a lot! How did you dry them or did the fire do an adequate job?? What kind of sawmill do you have and how big of a saw are you running?
They had been standing formover a year so I thought they were dry enough but aftrr I split them I could actually hear them cracking so I let them dry for a month.

The mill is a granberg alaskan and i used a stihl 291 with a 20" bar . I would suggest a 24" saw if I had to get another one. A 13" log maxs out that sawmill on a 20" bar

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back