Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wind Plex

Rev. J

I’ve typically been a Duplex reticle guy for all my hunting rifles. However, I’m eyeing the Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x40 CDS with side focus and 30mm tube. This scope only comes in the Wind Plex reticle. The 50mm one comes with Duplex, but I’ve never used that big of a bell in the mountains.

I’m curious your opinion of Wind Plex on a hunting rifle? Is it beneficial at all or does it seem to just get in the way? Would you step up to the 50mm bell or go with Wind Plex in the 40mm?

We need something other than Coronavirus to talk about anyways right?

The wind plex reticle is my favorite. I have a few of them on rifles that I use for hunting varmints, predators and big game. I find it strikes a good balance between not being to cluttered and providing the ability to hold for wind.

Had one for a couple of years. Great scope. Probably even better now that they're adding the zero lock to the 3i's this year. Can't say I really use the "Wind-Plex" features much but don't find them annoying either.

Odd man out here. While I did not find it distracting itt was not functionally accurate enough for me. However, given the option between the 50mm and windplex, I would chose the windplex and simple not use it.

How was it not functioning accurate enough?

How was it not functioning accurate enough?

"..... for me". I found the ticks too close together. I have used two scopes w/the windplex on two rifles before selling both scope. Not any different than the Leupold B&C reticle which I am also not a fan. IMO, these type of reticles give a false sense of confidence. I would take a MOA windage turret over the windplex all day long. I don't think it can be argued that a MOA turret used with a dope chart (attached to scope or butt stock) is not a much better option.

I think the Wind Plex reticles are great. I have them on 3 of my rifles. Also 2 of them have the Side Focus. I wish all of them had that feature.

I wish I had the windplex reticle on all my rifles, gotta do your homework so you know how to use it properly. But its also not so obnoxious that its in the way in the times you're not using it. That all said its not the perfect reticle, but for leupold scopes I like it!

I don’t find the windplex obnoxious or cumbersome in the least bit. I kinda wish I had them on all my vx3i scopes. Same goes for the 50mm bell up front, just make sure you have the clearance with your rings

Stupid question here...….the VX-3i are second focal plane correct? So for the windplex reticle to actually work (For you to actually see 1 MOA between tick marks) you have to be on full zoomed in power correct? Mine is a 4.5x14, so I would have to be on 14 power to use the wind plex?
Thanks

Stupid question here...….the VX-3i are second focal plane correct? So for the windplex reticle to actually work (For you to actually see 1 MOA between tick marks) you have to be on full zoomed in power correct? Mine is a 4.5x14, so I would have to be on 14 power to use the wind plex?
Thanks
Correct.

Good info, for those of you who have used the Wind Plex is the verticle crosshair the same thickness as the Duplex crosshair? Looking at getting a new scope with both CDS and side focus but I’ve only used Duplex reticles.

Both vertical and horizontal center crosshairs on the Wind Plex are the same thickness as the center crosshairs on the Duplex reticles.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back