Caribou Gear Tarp

Wind is it worth packing a wind shirt?

I am curious if anyone runs a wind shirt such as a patagonia houdini. Will a wind shirt provide more wind resistance than my kuiu nx ultralight rain top?

Just trying to adjust my layers for Colorado mid-September.

I love my Houdini. I don’t have the Kuiu rain top, but in my experience in the west (hiking, not yet hunting... but, this year I’ll change that) I always pack both wind and rain jacket, and will do when I pack for my upcoming hunt. My wind shirt is much more comfortable to wear when it’s windy and I’m moving as it doesn’t trap moisture, and it’s so light. But, again, I love it, so I pack that Houdini just about everywhere I go.

I agree with MTGomer, the more I go, the less I take. The rain jacket serves multiple purposes...and I'm going with less bulk/weight, but I realize that doesn't matter to everyone.

I am curious if anyone runs a wind shirt such as a patagonia houdini. Will a wind shirt provide more wind resistance than my kuiu nx ultralight rain top?

Just trying to adjust my layers for Colorado mid-September.
And no it won't provide more wind resistance, but it will breathe better and dry faster; it's a tradeoff depending on what you need. As far as I know there isn't a waterproof breathable on the market over about 0.3 CFM (a measure of air permeability), and most are basically 0. The Houdini is on the order of 3.0-5.0 CFM, depending on the generation.

Back