Winchester SX4 HELP

wtrfwlhunter

Guys, I’m at a loss here. I’ve had this Winchester SX4 20 gauge for about a year now, I’ve taken it apart many times.

Hunted with it the last day of duck season no issues. Grabbed it to go Turkey hunting a couple days ago and when I ran the bolt to check clear, the bolt would no go back all the way and it stops about half an inch short and will not budge further back. I took the gun apart, cleaned it, including spraying cleaner/degreaser in the mechanism (plunger) that pushes back into the stock multiple times. Still nothing. I’ve done this multiple times and nothings changed.

I know someone’s going to ask if I made sure the bolt is inserted into the tube (plunger)in the stock...it is and was when I first took it apart so that’s not the issue. I can’t help feel like im Missing something obvious here but I’m out of ideas to try. It feels like the mechanism in the stock might be catching on something but that’s all I’ve got. Has anybody ever ran into this?

Last edited:
Pictures for reference.
1: bolt inserted and in forward position
2: bolt pulled back (outside)
3: bolt pulled back (inside) B0A4233D-1E32-4EEF-B66D-2FB58D0FC012.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A91B4D9-1439-41EA-9343-EC299AD63498.jpeg
    6A91B4D9-1439-41EA-9343-EC299AD63498.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • E90A35FE-6D7F-496B-872F-9FE01EF34E8C.jpeg
    E90A35FE-6D7F-496B-872F-9FE01EF34E8C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Worked consistently during duck season no issues for a year? I have to think something wasn't in place when reassembled. Very strange let us know what u figure out.

Worked consistently during duck season no issues for a year? I have to think something wasn't in place when reassembled. Very strange let us know what u figure out.
That’s what I don’t understand either. No issues all season. Cleaned every two times at minimum. Shot a limit of ducks last time I used the thing.

I appreciate you taking time to help me figure this out. In my first picture at the bottom you will see the bolt entering the plunger he’s talking about.
Yeah u said please dont do this thing, then I did that exact thing. Lol. My bad! My reading comprehension skills have apparently worsened.

Take the stock off so you can use a long screwdriver to run the plunger all the way in. Clean it good again and give it a little oil.

To clean, hold a long Philip’s head screwdriver upright. Point the plunger down and place it on the top of the screwdriver. With one hand, push down about an inch or two on the stock assembly. Put the red tube for your cleaner up in the plunger and spray it good. Any debris in there will flush out downwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the stock off so you can use a long screwdriver to run the plunger all the way in. Clean it good again and give it a little oil.

To clean, hold a long Philip’s head screwdriver upright. Point the plunger down and place it on the top of the screwdriver. With one hand, push down about an inch or two on the stock assembly. Put the red tube for your cleaner up in the plunger and spray it good. Any debris in there will flush out downwards.
This is basically the track I went down last night. After about an hour of working it the bolt started to come back just a little bit further. There is a VERY fine silt it looks like that built up back there. I have no idea how this much ended back there; especially while sitting in the case after the season. Hoping I can get it all out without having to take it to a gun smith, etc.

One things for sure: duck hunting is not easy on your equipment.

This is basically the track I went down last night. After about an hour of working it the bolt started to come back just a little bit further. There is a VERY fine silt it looks like that built up back there. I have no idea how this much ended back there; especially while sitting in the case after the season. Hoping I can get it all out without having to take it to a gun smith, etc.

One things for sure: duck hunting is not easy on your equipment.
Man, that's frustrating. I wonder how you can keep that from building up. Was thinking of replacing my 12 ga with the SX4 next year.

Man, that's frustrating. I wonder how you can keep that from building up. Was thinking of replacing my 12 ga with the SX4 next year.
I do highly recommend the gun. The swing weight is amazing and o found the gun very natural to shoot for me at least. I feel like the gun to cost ratio was well
Worth my dollar.

Quick follow up on this thread. I would recommend everybody who owns a semi auto include running cleaner/oil down the plunger with routine breakdown and cleaning of your guns. Not Only was this a huge pain in the ass to fix once it was past the point of return, but once I did get it all cleaned up in there the gun is even quicker than usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back