Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Winchester Super X 4 shot for turkey?

Djfan

Has anyone used these? I went to look at the shiny new loads out there, and these were a lot more affordable, and have been around for ever. I thought I would give them a try in my Benelli.

Attachments

• 1709771316042.png
    1709771316042.png
    4 MB · Views: 4
Has anyone used these? I went to look at the shiny new loads out there, and these were a lot more affordable, and have been around for ever. I thought I would give them a try in my Benelli.
That’s the old school stuff. Probably won’t have quite the patterns at extended range as Hevi-Shot or the Winchester Longbeard (and certainly fewer pellets in the target as the modern, high tech TSS loads) but I’d reckon it’ll still stone about any bird within 40 yards. Buy a good choke (I like the Indian Creeks) and see what it does at 25 yards and 50 yards.

For me, the best patter in my Winchester were from the longbeard xr 3.5" #4 with a carlson longbeard choke. I tried several different combinations and that is what worked best for this particular configuration.

It’ll kill’em dead… pattern your gun and understand what your ethical range is. Abide by it.

It’s ok if the turkey wins.

Old school stuff for me, but I use 5’s in this, or Remington turkey loads.

My shot thought is “see only the bead” (keep my head down tight to the stock, to prevent shooting high)

It’ll kill’em dead… pattern your gun and understand what your ethical range is. Abide by it.

It’s ok if the turkey wins.
Doesn't get any more straight forward than this.

No one on the interweb is going to be able to answer your question for you. Your gun/choke combo will answer that question. Go out and test it out.

That being said, I'd aim for 5's or 6's.

Doesn't get any more straight forward than this.

No one on the interweb is going to be able to answer your question for you. Your gun/choke combo will answer that question. Go out and test it out.

That being said, I'd aim for 5's or 6's.

I have always liked 6s but have had a couple of unexplained events. After reading this, I think 5s will become the smallest shot I'll use on turkeys. It is hard to argue with these results.

I have always liked 6s but have had a couple of unexplained events. After reading this, I think 5s will become the smallest shot I'll use on turkeys. It is hard to argue with these results.

Wow, that is a lot of chooting of live and turkey neck/heads to get to his conclusions.

I wonder if/when his TSS conclusions will come out, and if he will study the duplex/triplex loads now being featured on shelves.

Maybe it's because I live in the woods, but when I think about all the instances where I could have killed a turkey if I'd been able to shoot 50 yards, but didn't because my max range was 35 yards (etc), I struggle to come up with more than one instance across 20 years, or so of turkey hunting. Throw a tight choke on your gun and chances are those loads will do great out to at least 30 yards, maybe 40. What more do you really need? The strategy of turkey hunting becomes so much more interesting when you need to get them close. I wouldn't hesitate, though I'd rather shoot 5's.

If anyone is interested, I have some Kent Bismuth #5s that I want to get rid of.

Hard to get enough 4s in a shell to hold a pattern. 5s and 6s will kill further than they'll hold a pattern. You really have pattern your choke and shell to see what it does. Ten yards further than you shoot is insurance. You want at least 100 pellets evenly across a 10” circle.

Im not sure the stuff I was using for lead is even sold anymore. A Truglo SSX and Winchester 1.75oz #6 was apt to work for most.

If you kill all your birds within a hard limit of 30 yards, a heavy dove load and full choke is a all you need 40 yards is a long way further.

I feel the same way and apply it to waterfowl also. Don’t need big pellets to penetrate the skull. Small shot = more shot = better chance of hitting the head. I’ve killed teal to swan with #6
Choot’em in da head

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back