Winchester M70 Super Grade Rebarrel

MTHunter1321

I have a 300wsm that I’m considering a barrel change on. My question is would it be possible to put a Proof carbon fiber barrel on the existing stock / action? Or would I need additional parts? I’m completely green when it comes to gunsmithing, hence the question, and would have a smith do it, but just curious from those of you who know a hell of a lot more than me if it’s even a possibility.

If the action is a controlled round feed vs one of the push feeds you at the very least would have to have an extractor groove cut into the barrel.

You can definitely put it on the action, but typically those stocks are too slim for even their sendero light. You’d probably need a stock along with it.

Bought it new in 2010
Ok. Any good gunsmith will be able to rebarrel. They will have to cut a notch in the barrel for the extractor that the M70 has so it will probably add a bit to the cost. It will be easier to find an aftermarket stock for the more recent M70 rather than an old one. It's possible the barrel channel could be opened up on the stock. Is it a wood stock? Do you want to keep the existing stock?

Ok. Any good gunsmith will be able to rebarrel. They will have to cut a notch in the barrel for the extractor that the M70 has so it will probably add a bit to the cost. It will be easier to find an aftermarket stock for the more recent M70 rather than an old one. It's possible the barrel channel could be opened up on the stock. Is it a wood stock? Do you want to keep the existing stock?
Yes, mine is a wood stock and ideally would like to keep it that way.

Yes, mine is a wood stock and ideally would like to keep it that way.

You'll need to measure corner to corner on the forend to see if it will take a proof contour. Probably not. I'll pull a measurement off a proof barrel where it sits at the end of the forearm when I get back to the shop.

You'll need to measure corner to corner on the forend to see if it will take a proof contour. Probably not. I'll pull a measurement off a proof barrel where it sits at the end of the forearm when I get back to the shop.
Awesome, thank you!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back