Winchester ammo

Power points, or something else? I killed probably a dozen elk with 150gr power points out of a 7mag, and a truckload and a half of deer.

Ive shot a few other type bullets Ballistic tip, and Failsafe? that they used to load, or loaded in the past out of various rifles. Worked fine for me. IMO people spend a whole lot of time thinking about a bullet, they all work.

A 150 gr. Accubond in your 308 would be great and Winchester might load it I'm not certain. Nosler does load it obviously. Federal probably does as well.

I used 150's for a couple of seasons on whitetails, wasn't all that impressed. Yeah, they all 'bit the bullet', so to speak, but not one went straight down. Switched to 180's and TA-DA !! Bang -Flop just about every shot.

If you are referring to the Winchester Power Points, I have a .300 Win Mag that doesn't like anything else. I have taken several elk, a bunch of deer and a couple caribou with the 180's.

Not sure which Winchester load you're talking about. I tried some Winchester white box 180-grain .308. Both of my .308s did NOT like them - bad groups. When I later discovered that my rifles didn't like 180-grain Core-Lokts but DID like 150-grain, I asked Savage about this. Perhaps these rifles don't like the heavier rounds.

Savage said this should not be. I've also found some 180-grains that the rifles shoot well - notably the Federal Fusions.

I suppose for elk I would probably go with the 150-grain rounds anyway - flatter shooting. Have you tried the Federal's 150-grain trophy copper? In my rifles they shoot very flat, fantastic groups, and on the one bear I shot with it, very effective.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back