Wilks brothers true colors are shining through.....

Isn't there a pretty likely chance the BLM would be funding half of the fencing expenses for this project?

One could loosen the top strand and wire it back up with the fourth though.;)

It is like we have entire generations of fat-assed lazy hunters who have no creativity and problem solving skills in the woods.

You just wait a few months and the crossings will become obvious, a little plier work there never hurt anyone or anything;)

Show me a hunter who comes out of the woods without a pair of pliers or a full backpack of survey stakes and timber marking ribbons, and I'll show you a hunter that doesn't love America. :cool:

A deer or elk will have to go over that fence and that would be doubtful for a young calf or fawn. The Jose comment was real brilliant and about like the other one he made recently regarding shooting up other's stuff on public land!

I got no problem protecting My Public Lands. And, I have no problem on people like you benefiting from my efforts to protect My Public Lands.

You are welcome to ride on my coattails.

I am on topic, I'm guessing the project has been approved by the BLM and there is probably cost sharing available if not realized for the fencing cost. They will not do
anything about any any "infraction" wingman is documenting.

I hope I am wrong. I will start a thread proclaiming I am the biggest ass in Colorado when proven 100% wrong.

Last edited:
The Durfee Hills is in Fegus County handled by the Lewistown office. Using Montana Cadastral, click on search (left hand side), choose Geocode. In the County box choose Fergus. In the Geocode box type 08-2143-24-1-02-01-0000. Click on the link your search pulls up below your geocode box. Your map on the right side will then pull up that plot. Hit the minus button on the right and it will zoom out.

All the yellow is BLM surrounded by the Wilks Ranch. On the Ag/Forest tab of the Property Record portion, it doesnt list grazing or grazing leases, except the very southern tip, a small block listed as geocode 23-2034-06-1-01-02-0000, 39 acres of ag land listed as grazing fee.

Other BLM land nearby does, for example if you zoom out on the map, go 2 block down to the Musselshell, click the yellow BLM land and look up the Ag tab (you have to zoom back in to see information), you will see grazing designation and grazing leases. Other BLM property lists timber, ag planting like spring wheat, etc. Perhaps Montana Cadastral does not have all the BLM info.

The next phase of this project could very well be WILKS security staff harassing hunters , all meant to intimidate . Intimidation by harassment can be very effective. I hope I'm wrong, but it would not surprise me.

The next phase of this project could very well be WILKS security staff harassing hunters , all meant to intimidate . Intimidation by harassment can be very effective. I hope I'm wrong, but it would not surprise me.

I've never hunted out there, but I've never heard any mention of their folks intimidating hunters. I'm guessing someone from the NBar is keeping up with this thread. When they read crap like this, do you expect them to ever work with hunters? Maybe the bridge between the Wilks and hunters/general public has already burned. I honestly don't know. If it's not, is there a way to find some common ground. Everyone is focused on this fence and the activities associated with it. Yeah, it sucks as does their tactfulness. If they're doing something illegal, call them on it. However, there's been almost zero discussion about their new proposal, which appears to be an honest attempt at a fair trade and one that hunters would likely benefit from. Yet they can't get the BLM to consider it and hunters don't seem to care.

Does anyone have a legitimate suggestion on how to improve the relationship between us and the Wilks? Maybe that would be a better solution than to continually talk $%$! about them (even though they may deserve it). Maybe the East is making me soft...

Mass destruction...I received a ticket once for cutting a few limbs on a tree to clear my tent in here. Let's see if they get one for knocking down hundreds of trees.
FWIW, if I'm looking at the picture correctly the margin of error calculated by your GPS (the blue circle) shows that the trees photo'd may not be on BLM. Just offered as a heads up on the limits of commercial grade handheld GPSs. Not condoning the actions in the least.

Last edited:
Also, FWIW, there is no mention in the Lewistown NEPA log of any projects for the last two fiscal years with the names of the two grazing allotments that encompass the BLM lands mapped as the Durfee HIlls Parcel for the Bullwhacker Road transfer. Similarly, if this was a BLM project that should have come up during the land transfer debate. I do not recall that being the case.

My guess is that this is being done without any BLM approval, oversight, or money. It's hard for me to believe, that if this was a BLM project or money, that this could have been approved without an Environmental Assessment. The high profile of this parcel leads me to think that an EA would have been brought to the attention of this forum beings that so many posters are quite interested in the management of this piece of ground.

Mdunc, according to Montana legal fencing description, the wire fencing can only be 4 wire, has to meet maximum and minimum height requirements.

Wingman, can you measure the height of the fence, the bottom and top wires?

This is what got Turner in trouble with the Skyline/Anaconda guys years back. He set up taller fences with more than 4 wires and it was catching and killing deer and elk, which were referred to as death fences in the media. They sued, forced him into compliance and periodically make the rounds to make sure it remains that way. Sometimes agencies arent going to patrol and police the private landowners. It takes the public to point out and sometimes sue to make sure a law is being enforced.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back