Wilderness Study Area = Wilderness Area (Wyoming)?

Cerebral Stalker

I think I already know the answer to this, but it would suck to assume and then find out differently later.

Are Wilderness Study Areas (like in unit 100 Elk for example) off limits to non-guided nonresidents just like "regular" Wilderness Areas in Wyoming? Hoping there might be a difference since the Study Areas always seem to be in nontraditional "wilderness" areas.

Thanks in advance!

No, you can hunt wilderness study areas in Wyoming without a guide

Then someone better tell the wardens non-residents need a guide for a WSA, as I was told by two wardens manning a check stations that only Designated Wilderness Areas were subject to the "guide rule," not Wilderness Study Areas.

Anyone have the citation from statute that might give it in black and white?

Edit; as pasted from WY G&F website - Nonresident big and trophy game hunters are required to obtain a professional outfitter or resident guide while hunting in any federally designated wilderness area.

Edit again; It is under Wyoming Code Section 23-2-401. Link here - https://codes.findlaw.com/wy/title-23-game-and-fish/wy-st-sect-23-2-401.html

Yep, I’m certain. Non residents can hunt wsa’s because they aren’t designated wilderness areas, therefore they are treated differently.

Then someone better tell the wardens non-residents need a guide for a WSA, as I was told by two wardens manning a check stations that only Designated Wilderness Areas were subject to the "guide rule," not Wilderness Study Areas.

Anyone have the citation from statute that might give it in black and white?

Edit, pasted from WY G&F website - Nonresident big and trophy game hunters are required to obtain a professional outfitter or resident guide while hunting in any federally designated wilderness area.

Glad I asked. Thanks Big Fin and Mountainguide!!!

I think the guide requirement in some states suck. I lived in AK 12 years but I can't hunt without a guide. It sucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back