Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

wild boar hunting california

redduck

Hello Hunt talk forum,

I am wanting to do some hog hunting, when I am not trying to duck, turkey, or deer hunt. any advice? I live in Los Angeles right now, and I am trying to keep the the traveling less than 5 hours. I heard good things about the Lompoc area. I would appreciate any tips, trick, or some good spots to hunt.

More pigs up in SLO, Monterey,Sonoma counties. Lompoc is mostly private. They used to have hunts on Vandenberg before 9/11 but I never hunted there. Hunter-Legget & Camp Roberts still do have wild pig,deer,elk,& turkeys. Took my biggest boar there ,365#s.Russian type pigs are very common.

according to the CA DFW, The military bases (Fort Hunter Liggett and Camp Roberts) are responsible for 35% of the public land take. I did a guided hunt on private land near San Luis Obispo for $450 and came away with a nice tasting pig.

Last edited:
FHL & CR are both OTC for pigs tags thru DFG er DFW and considered public lands but you have to follow base rules and closures.
It is a live fire base and you do not want to go down the wrong road for sure. And the base folks can be testy,but G&F has a weight station and office there.It can be crowded but good still.Mid week is killer.

I am also looking into fort hunter liggett ..I hear it's a great place for hog ..it'll be my first hunting experience ...

There is some decent hog hunting in Santa Barbara County, especially this time of year when the weather stays cooler and the tubers and mushrooms are starting to poke up. To get a public land hog in CA it's going to take some serious leg work since they abandon areas that they have been shot at very quickly. Look for areas that have oak savannah with brushy hillsides nearby for bedding, sometimes you can catch them coming out of the farm fields in the morning going back up into the brush to bed for the day. Try to catch them in the open, once they bed in the brush you'll have a hell of a time finding them, I've literally stepped on one before it moved and I had had no idea it was there.

FHL & CR are both OTC for pigs tags thru DFG er DFW and considered public lands but you have to follow base rules and closures.
It is a live fire base and you do not want to go down the wrong road for sure. And the base folks can be testy,but G&F has a weight station and office there.It can be crowded but good still.Mid week is killer.

I looked at the website but its a little confusing . Can you give a little explanation on how to go about getting out to FHL to hunt some hogs ?

Back