Wife's first elk experience

Redman

As many of you know my wife had her leg amputated in January, got her "magic leg" and said she would come with me on my elk hunt this year.... Well as I am typing this she is in the captain's chair crossing into CO. We have been on the road since 5PM our time. She is going to do some glassing with me but though she is doing better than 99% of most amputees she won't be able to do alot of hiking. Dr. said it takes over a year for it to be completely healed. So we brought our German Shepherd Brenna to keep her company while I am out shooting an elk. Also brought her fishing pole and if the fish are bitting she will be hard to get the pole out of her hand. She had never laid eyes on the Rockies or West of Indiana except when she flew to Texas with me on business. This will be interesting!

Good luck! Sounds like you all have the right attitude around her recovery. Enjoy your time in the hills.

Well Casey and I made it back from a roller coaster elk hunt! Casey hiked up with me heard the elk before I did. She got to set back and watch from above as I stalked and killed my elk. I thought I had missed by the way the elk took off as soon as I squeezed the trigger. I did not hear the bullet strike or see the elk react. I could not find any blood or hair to indicate a hit. The herd of elk did look back from the top of the mountain looking at something but I couldn't see a dead elk anywhere. When I made it back up to Casey she asked if I found the elk. I said I must have shot over his back. She said when I shot the elk stumbled and she heard the bullet strike. I climb up another spot where I could look down into the drainage and could see the bull piled up "deader than disco"...
Longer story than that but she is amazing and I have her to thank for getting this bull!20211015_162254.jpg20211018_151048.jpg20211017_182451.jpg20211018_181904.jpgEE0AACBC-.jpg20211017_094850.jpg

Attachments

• 20211020_131933.jpg
    20211020_131933.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
Well Casey and I made it back from a roller coaster elk hunt! Casey hiked up with me heard the elk before I did. She got to set back and watch from above as I stalked and killed my elk. I thought I had missed by the way the elk took off as soon as I squeezed the trigger. I did not hear the bullet strike or see the elk react. I could not find any blood or hair to indicate a hit. The herd of elk did look back from the top of the mountain looking at something but I couldn't see a dead elk anywhere. When I made it back up to Casey she asked if I found the elk. I said I must have shot over his back. She said when I shot the elk stumbled and she heard the bullet strike. I climb up another spot where I could look down into the drainage and could see the bull piled up "deader than disco"...
Longer story than that but she is amazing and I have her to thank for getting this bull!View attachment 198468View attachment 198476View attachment 198474View attachment 198530View attachment 198533View attachment 198473
Thank you!!! This really put a smile in my face. Congrats to both of you

Congratulations to you and your wife.
Great job nd determination

And you all did it!

Congratulations
Oh I was confident that I would shoot an elk with an either sex tag. Now shooting one with my wife being able to be there and watch the whole thing..I would not have made that claim. Better to be lucky than good!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back