Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WI ELK, the story of a once in a lifetime hunt

We were starting to think that all the elk had decided to go on vacation and leave the area. Then before you know it, we were back on good sign. That nice pine tree was all tore up, and there was some very fresh track, so maybe we were in the right area. However the sun was out that day and based on all our sightings if the weather was nice the hunting gods were not shining on us. We needed the weather to change. Spirits were starting to get a little down due to us being four days in and no success. The pressure was building in her mind, she had the tag, and she knew her days were numbered. In her mind she thought she had to produce being the first youth with a tag. However in my mind we already had succeeded no matter the outcome.

Al right kid, lets go find them.

DSCN1032.JPG

Well that area didn't pan out, now on to the next section and another 5 mile loop.

20231018_150725.jpg

Nothing. Remember earlier, when said I have never hunted elk before. I think by now, it is pretty obvious that I am showing you all that I don't know what I am doing.

20231019_160859.jpg

Plenty of sign in this area and she is verifying terrain and potential routes in and out of the area on the map. Maybe this area will pan out. The good thing is the weather is changing back to rain so maybe our luck will start to improve.

20231019_155420.jpg

or maybe not. Off to the final area today. 35-40 degrees and rain, perfect hunting weather for elk right?

20231018_171943.jpg

By the end of the past couple of days we put in plenty of miles and no bulls were found. On one hike we parked in a legal location and walked about two miles in, just to see a truck coming towards us from the area we were going to setup in. Like I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of roads that look like roads but according to the forest service, technically they are not roads. We needed to make sure we were doing what is right and not worry about what others may be doing.

Maybe tomorrow, maybe. I told her to keep that chin up this is how hunting goes sometime. Anyone who has been hunting for a few years can tell you all the scouting and prep work helps but there is nothing you can do when there are outside influences that may push game around, or the weather isn't on your side or all those other factors that come into play.

There are some great folks in the area that are willing to help share local knowledge where they can. Through my discussions with many folks, both residents and visitors to the area. I found that there are those who love the elk, and those who wish the DNR never reintroduced them. Each person had stories that help support their viewpoint and many were very passionate about their stance. There were very few that I told we were hunting as I wanted more to understand how they were using our public lands and what they hoped to get out of their time in the area and what the elk meant to them.

The same disparity of view exists when it comes to the hunting this elk herd. There are those who love seeing the elk and hate the hunters. some think a controlled hunt is a good thing. Then there are always those very few individuals that will attempt to interfere and disrupt the hunt if they can. Like many things in life its a balance, and through listening to these folks it helped me apricate all the different view points and how each person was impacted.

We did keep it fairly quiet up to the hunt just because this can be a hot button issue for the anti hunters and the last thing I wanted was to have my daughter confronted by anti hunters when she is out and about just going through her day. Around where we live, I know several members of the community that are anti hunting and anti firearm, and now if you combine those both with a female youth, in their mind you are the worst of the worst. I know this is a hunting forum and we all share a common interest, but these folks are out there and it may be hard for us to understand their side. In my mind we must and we should try and educate them as to what we do, why we do it, and how in many cases we are contributing more for the conservation of game and land than many of them. Many of these anti elk hunters miss the fact that if it were not for the RMEF and the sportsmen and women in the state there would be no funding for this effort and they would not be able to enjoy seeing the elk out on the landscape.

While there are people who like to go and view the elk, the hunting of them takes a little different angel in my mind. Just because you can find them, can you legally harvest one? Or is it one that is near private where the land owner loves them and if they see you near there on public land will attempt to make you life difficult, yep, a very fine balancing act to respect all individual involved. Based on my above comments, and having a youth hunter with me I really wanted to leave a positive impressing and ensure we were representing the hunting community in the most positive light possible. Given there have been so few tags offered, I think we are paving the path for all future hunts right now and I want to help lay that foundation and ensure the road forward for all those to come is smooth and straight.

My strategy was to stay below the fray and engage elk on their terms out in the woods. Right or wrong, we all have a philosophy on how we want to hunt and this was the path we felt was appropriate for us and what we were hoping to get out of the hunt.
Thanks for providing that detailed viewpoint and perspective!

We were starting to think that all the elk had decided to go on vacation and leave the area. Then before you know it, we were back on good sign. That nice pine tree was all tore up, and there was some very fresh track, so maybe we were in the right area. However the sun was out that day and based on all our sightings if the weather was nice the hunting gods were not shining on us. We needed the weather to change. Spirits were starting to get a little down due to us being four days in and no success. The pressure was building in her mind, she had the tag, and she knew her days were numbered. In her mind she thought she had to produce being the first youth with a tag. However in my mind we already had succeeded no matter the outcome.

Al right kid, lets go find them.

View attachment 300745

Well that area didn't pan out, now on to the next section and another 5 mile loop.

View attachment 300752

Nothing. Remember earlier, when said I have never hunted elk before. I think by now, it is pretty obvious that I am showing you all that I don't know what I am doing.

View attachment 300753

Plenty of sign in this area and she is verifying terrain and potential routes in and out of the area on the map. Maybe this area will pan out. The good thing is the weather is changing back to rain so maybe our luck will start to improve.

View attachment 300754

or maybe not. Off to the final area today. 35-40 degrees and rain, perfect hunting weather for elk right?

View attachment 300755

By the end of the past couple of days we put in plenty of miles and no bulls were found. On one hike we parked in a legal location and walked about two miles in, just to see a truck coming towards us from the area we were going to setup in. Like I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of roads that look like roads but according to the forest service, technically they are not roads. We needed to make sure we were doing what is right and not worry about what others may be doing.

Maybe tomorrow, maybe. I told her to keep that chin up this is how hunting goes sometime. Anyone who has been hunting for a few years can tell you all the scouting and prep work helps but there is nothing you can do when there are outside influences that may push game around, or the weather isn't on your side or all those other factors that come into play.
What did you use for your tool to determine the legality of a road for travel? I've hunted in that area and forest before and know exactly what you mean about roads that look like roads but they aren't but there are also a lot of roads that are legal that aren't easy to find and understand they are

@seeth07 the forest service will use Avenza and the associated maps for the area when determining your compliance. OnX, or a gazetteer and other mapping references may show roads and trails but the seasonal legality of that from a forest service standpoint goes back to their maps. You can load the area on your phone through Avenza then use it even when you are not in cell range as well. It has all seasonal requirements, atv width and use restrictions and any other notes that you need to be aware of.

I have never used it before this year, however when I spoke with the forest service they told me it would be in my best interest to download it and use it if you want to stay legal. In areas like this it is very easy to be accidently wrong, and that was the last thing I wanted was to make a mistake by accident and then potentially have to forfeit the elk or be fined.

As I follow along I can't help but ask why I only ever see you on a road....Do you ever go into the woods at all? Follow any game trails? This is fun though and you don't have to worry about grizzly bears :)

Last edited:
@seeth07 the forest service will use Avenza and the associated maps for the area when determining your compliance. OnX, or a gazetteer and other mapping references may show roads and trails but the seasonal legality of that from a forest service standpoint goes back to their maps. You can load the area on your phone through Avenza then use it even when you are not in cell range as well. It has all seasonal requirements, atv width and use restrictions and any other notes that you need to be aware of.

I have never used it before this year, however when I spoke with the forest service they told me it would be in my best interest to download it and use it if you want to stay legal. In areas like this it is very easy to be accidently wrong, and that was the last thing I wanted was to make a mistake by accident and then potentially have to forfeit the elk or be fined.
Avenza is great but it does have a few flaws just like onx does with road legality. The area the elk are in is 98% public with almost all of it in the national forest. The best source for road legality is simply the MVUM directly from the website but I have found even that will have some out of date information. Sounds like you called the local office and the gal in Ladysmith is fantastic for helping with changes to it. Due to logging activities there are always a few roads changing.

Keep it coming! I already know how the story ends and can't wait to hear the full recount of it!

This type of elk hunting is all new to me! With limited time, and a myriad of roads, elk still being elk, albeit in an unpressured environment( by hunters), I would place a hunter in an "elky" hide and do a bit of bird dogging! With all those roads/trails, it would be easy to do!

I document about as well as I hunt, so I only think to take a picture or two when we are near the vehicle either taking off or coming back. The camera just stayed in my pocket most of the time. Just ask my daughter, every hunt I have tried to film for her has failed, I always turn the camera away when the shot was taken and miss everything. This is just one of those areas that I didn't focus on in the moment and maybe should have.

I should have had a crew as talented as Randy has. It is really impressive how they capture the hunt and the story. Me, not so much.

Yes we did spend many a miles hiking through the woods on game trails and we were all over the place. Looking back at the images, I wish I would have done a better job in capturing those moments.

Another one that I did not capture and I wish I would have. She was sitting in the timber on the edge of a cut, cow calling, and when I looked behind me a couple hundred yards off there was a wolf coming up the trail. He closed the distance and made a big circle around us to see what was going on. That would have made a neat video, at least we have the memory of it.

What you are saying but not quite saying is the forest service uses their USFS MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) maps, which happen to be available in georeferenced format for use in Avenza for live tracking your position in relation to marked open/closed roads?

Used same to boot scofflaws off of non roads in Idaho who were riding side by side into a closed area.

For the nonroads in question did the MVUM show the route at all? And if so was the route listed as hiking only or hiking and biking, or anything?

Avenza is great but it does have a few flaws just like onx does with road legality. The area the elk are in is 98% public with almost all of it in the national forest. The best source for road legality is simply the MVUM directly from the website but I have found even that will have some out of date information. Sounds like you called the local office and the gal in Ladysmith is fantastic for helping with changes to it. Due to logging activities there are always a few roads changing.

Keep it coming! I already know how the story ends and can't wait to hear the full recount of it!
Avenza is not a 'map' just software for using georeferenced maps from most any source that wants to produce one. At least I have not run across an Avenza map when rounding up digital maps to use in Avenza. And thus it is never 'wrong' on open/closed roads. What are you referring to when saying avenza has 'flaws's. I see you know well what an MVUM is so you are flagging something other than MVUM that may be flawed?

I’m pulling for you. I definitely know how the struggle is. Looking forward to a great picture of a bull on the ground! Either way time spent with one of the kid’s hunting is time well spent!

Are you done hunting this week or can you make another go at it for the December part of season?

Looking forward to big smiles and an elk to wrap this great adventure up.

One good aspect of this story is it drags out even longer and slower than the slower than a khunter story. That ain’t easy to pull off. LOL.

Last edited:
GREAT write up thus far! Some outstanding photos as well! I'm on the edge of my seat for the rest of the story!

Btw- your daughter is probably a more qualified shooter than anybody that had anything to say about the rifle choice..

Day 5: Rain
We sat and hiked for 5 hours in the morning and got noting but wet. As we were having lunch I asked my daughter what she wanted to do. she said it was time to change things up and go to our backup location that we had scouted the days before. Would this be a good decision for us? Not sure but it would prove to be our pivot point in the hunt.

20231019_175751.jpg

20231019_181901.jpg

We sat and hiked for 5 hours in the morning and got noting but wet. As we were having lunch I asked my daughter what she wanted to do. she said it was time to change things up and go to our backup location that we had scouted the days before. Would this be a good decision for us? Not sure but it would prove to be our pivot point in the hunt.

View attachment 300849

View attachment 300850
I’m eagerly awaiting every post of this hunt recap!

View attachment 300849

View attachment 300850

The look on both of those faces shows......"there is a bull, and we are gonna kill him."

As you could tell by my previous post we had gotten permission from a private land owner to access his property and hunt an area of public and private. Based on our scouting and talking to the landowner it was fairly unpredictable as to if or when they may show up. He had not seen any of them in the past week on or near his property. Around 4pm we went out and found a spot where we had good sight lines and could watch over the fields and adjacent timber in the hopes they would come out. Again we had on an off rain and it was very quiet out in the woods and we had a nice wind right in our faces.

Right at about 6pm with only 30 min of legal light remaining in the day, it happened there were elk starting to feed out of the timber and onto the field. There were about 15 cows in total and 4 bulls. Off in the distance as the cows fed, and two of the spikes were pushing each other around near the tree line. All we need was one of those guys to step clear and we may have a shot. We were within 400 yards, so any opportunity that presented itself I knew she could handle it.

She makes a couple cow calls to try and get their attention, and just then the herd bull a 5x6 comes running out and starts heading right towards her. She quickly sets up the rifle on the tripod so she could get standing shot and clear the brush. As she continues to try and convince him to give her a shot opportunity, just then 4 cows come out of the time near her and spot her. She is busted, they bark, and I think for sure it is all over and they are going to take off.

The bull looked at the cows and then took a quick turn broadside and that is when she sent a round right into him. He spun 180 and she shot again, he dropped right there. Two shots within a couple seconds of each other and it was all over. Holly $#%t this that just happen?

20231019_182442.jpg

20231019_182430.jpg

I am truly amazed she was able to keep it together and make those shots as quickly, cleanly and accurately as she did. I kept telling her if he is standing keep shooting and that is what she did. I think he was dead on his feet after that first shot but she wasn't taking any chances. Now that he is on the ground all the emotions come to the surface and the hands are shaking and we are in total disbelief that we were fortunate enough to harvest one.

We quickly took a couple pictures before darkness settled in and and gave a little thanks to this elk.
20231019_185604.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back