Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WI Bear

wisconsinteacher

Wisconsin bear season opens September 9th. Like evey year, the baits were doing well but then the acorns and corn started to ripen. 1 of my 3 baits really slowed down. The other two are spotty. I'm trying everything trick I can think of to keep them coming. This year, my wife has the tag so I hope I can get one in front of her.

I'm using cookie dough with different scents around the bait like oil, fruity sprays and anise powder. I also put a glob of frosting in the stump for the first bear as a reward for getting there first. I'm baiting everyday right at first light too.

Sounds like its just a waiting game then. I noticed the chokecherries and berries really went nuts this year with all the moisture. I'm sure thats contributing.

WIteacher, I am in the exact same boat as you. Wife has the tag as well. We have switched away from sweets and are using 75% trail mix and 25% other, meaning pie filling and the like. Bears are still coming. I will note our stand locations are in areas with a strong oak population as well. This time of year the bears will "migrate" into those oak areas and out of the swamps.

Sounds like Wisconsin Bear hunting...there is a reason why I only draw my tag when the opener is baiting first and in early Sept. It's so late this year and unfortunately, it only gets worse from here till end of season. Bears just really like corn...its hard to get them off of the endless supply they have of it.

Sounds like Wisconsin Bear hunting...there is a reason why I only draw my tag when the opener is baiting first and in early Sept. It's so late this year and unfortunately, it only gets worse from here till end of season. Bears just really like corn...its hard to get them off of the endless supply they have of it.
I agree but up in my area of the northwoods, unit B, we don't have any "natural" corn for 25+ miles. Just have the nuts and berries to contend with. This year berries are way off so just nuts.

I agree but up in my area of the northwoods, unit B, we don't have any "natural" corn for 25+ miles. Just have the nuts and berries to contend with. This year berries are way off so just nuts.
Yes true. Some of the true north north woods are affected:) lucky you for being up that way :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back