Why only one?

recon6036

With my 3rd Elk hunt coming quick, I have a couple questions.....probably dumb Eastern Tenderfoot questions, but I have to ask. First a little information; I have hunted Elk a total of 9 days in 2 years; all in Colorado, just North of Steamboat Springs. First year was 2nd rifle and last year was 1st rifle. Both times, we backpacked in 2 miles and set up camp at roughly 8,500 ft. In those 9 days, I have seen 5 Elk - 2 spikes, 1 4x4 and 2 cows - spikes and/or cows could have been the same, so possibly only 3 or 4 Elk. Each Elk has always been alone and I've never been able to get a shot for various reasons (Note: I have had a cow tag every season). So, this leads me to my first question - why have the few Elk I've seen always been alone? Guess, I've always pictured Elk traveling together; not solo. Second question is, I plan on going back to the same place this year - again armed with a cow tag - am I wasting my time by chasing single Elk around or is there likely other Elk somewhere nearby? On one hand, I hate to leave the area because I know it pretty well now, but on the other, maybe a different area would in the unit would be better. Damn, I just really want to fill my tag this year!!!!

Small groups of elk are easier to hunt than large herds. Fewer eyes and noses . Elk like being around other elk so there may very well be more you aren't seeing. If you are seeing them regularly there, it should pay off eventually.

I have always been told if your not hearing them at night, you should probably move...

I have always been told if your not hearing them at night, you should probably move...

What do you hear at night ????:eek:
We save that for when we are hunting "big foot" Ha Ha Ha

We cant rifle hunt during the rut so bugling normally won't be herd.

Where at north of steamboat springs ......I will be in the clark area first rifle season.My guess is that the herds are being broken up with hunting pressure but who knows

What do you hear at night ????:eek:
We save that for when we are hunting "big foot" Ha Ha Ha

We cant rifle hunt during the rut so bugling normally won't be herd.

Elk are amazingly noisey. Even if they are not bugling the cows and calves make a lot of noises.

Bulls will bugle all year long. They just do it a lot more during the rut.

Cows will also talk all year long. That's how they communicate. Why would they stop, because it's not the rut?

They may have a reason for being quiet, but the time of year has nothing to do with it.

If your close enough to hear cow calls at night I'd personally move camp back a ways.

Last edited:
Elk are amazingly noisey. Even if they are not bugling the cows and calves make a lot of noises.

True! I spent a night on a backpacking solo last summer surrounded by over 100 elk grazing in my campsite and I could barely sleep. Constant mama elk jibber-jabber.

I agree that if you're seeing a couple, there's probably more you're not seeing for one reason or another. Hunting pressure is the biggest reason animals will change patterns either vocally or geographically. The rut also has something to do with it. I've only bow hunted so I've been lucky to have the rut on my side. But, I've also had the first archery season where it was more pre-rut. We didnt hear any animals for 2 days, nor did we see anything. We moved to a spot that we were hearing them and then had animals around us for 5 days. They shut up and we couldn't find them anymore. Was it weather? Perhaps. Were they there and not talking? Maybe. It's closer to when the rut should be on and animals went quiet. More than likely they got pressured, felt it, and moved on.

Have someone that is experienced with hunting elk look at a topo of the location you hunt. Might be useful to get their opinion on what looks like good elk spots to check out during the time of your hunt. Are you the first hunters or are there other hunting seasons prior. Is the unit migratory? Might be a more experienced elk hunter will circle zones which looks like offers shelter or feed or less hunting pressure or water. A big unit gets a bit smaller when think like an elk.

As far as hearing Elk....when I hunted second rifle, I didn't hear a thing. Last year during first rifle, I heard bugles on day 1 and day 3....always in the early morning for a short time, then silence. Based on my limited elk hunting experience, studying maps and Google Earth, I think I have a couple locations picked out in the same area that the Elk might be...we will see! Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back