Why do first focal plane (FFP) scopes tend to be heavier?

bdubb78

Statement upfront: I have not delved deeply into this prior to this posting, so forgive me if the answer is easy/obvious.

I would love to find more light/lighter weight hunting scopes that offer FFP reticles because I love knowing that the MOA hash marks don't change as I run through the magnification of the scope. It is nice to have confidence in the holdovers when you can't or don't want to dial for some reason. All that being said, when looking at scopes that do offer FFP they always tend to be heavier. Is this simply a consequence of them largely being found on tactical scopes that weren't designed with weight in mind or is there something in the construction of FFP scopes that by their very nature makes them heavier?

Straying far off topic, but for some context on the post, I was recently trying to decide between a Vortex Viper HST or the Leupold VX-3i and was combing through past postings looking for comments and ideas. I would love to move up to the Razoe Gen 2 line, but I don't want to add another pound to the scope to get be able to get the FFP scope I would like. Once you get through the 75% of people that are simply hating on one side or the other, the answer usually boils down to whatever you like better, cost aside. For me, the combination of MOA reticle and the $500 price difference (off only MSRP values), make it easy to keep buying Vortex. So far, I have always been happy with their products (scopes, spotting scopes, binos, misc gear), with the exception of the Ranger 1000 rangefinder. I have used it extensively for archery and found it to be just fine, with only minor instances of not getting it to provide a range. However, at long distances on the rifle range, it frequently seems to refuse to provide a range. Frustrating to say the least. It is also noticeable slower at ranging and only accurate to within 0.5 yds as compared to some of the Leupold's I have seen it work side by side with. I will probably move over to the Sig Kilo 2000 if/when I replace it, as those seem to get amazing reviews, especially for the price.

Last edited:
The short answer is not so much that FFP scopes are heavy, Nikon makes some lighter FFP BDC scopes. Weight has more to do with the materials and build quality used to make the scope. USO's, S&B's, Nightforce, Steiner, high end Vortex, etc are all heavy scopes because they're build with thicker, stronger components as well as bigger tubes and thicker lenses.

Statement upfront: I have not delved deeply into this prior to this posting, so forgive me if the answer is easy/obvious.

I would love to find more light/lighter weight hunting scopes that offer FFP reticles because I love knowing that the MOA hash marks don't change as I run through the magnification of the scope. It is nice to have confidence in the holdovers when you can't or don't want to dial for some reason. All that being said, when looking at scopes that do offer FFP they always tend to be heavier. Is this simply a consequence of them largely being found on tactical scopes that weren't designed with weight in mind or is there something in the construction of FFP scopes that by their very nature makes them heavier?

Straying far off topic, but for some context on the post, I was recently trying to decide between a Vortex Viper HST or the Leupold VX-3i and was combing through past postings looking for comments and ideas. I would love to move up to the Razoe Gen 2 line, but I don't want to add another pound to the scope to get be able to get the FFP scope I would like. Once you get through the 75% of people that are simply hating on one side or the other, the answer usually boils down to whatever you like better, cost aside. For me, the combination of MOA reticle and the $500 price difference (off only MSRP values), make it easy to keep buying Vortex. So far, I have always been happy with their products (scopes, spotting scopes, binos, misc gear), with the exception of the Ranger 1000 rangefinder. I have used it extensively for archery and found it to be just fine, with only minor instances of not getting it to provide a range. However, at long distances on the rifle range, it frequently seems to refuse to provide a range. Frustrating to say the least. It is also noticeable slower at ranging and only accurate to within 0.5 yds as compared to some of the Leupold's I have seen it work side by side with. I will probably move over to the Sig Kilo 2000 if/when I replace it, as those seem to get amazing reviews, especially for the price.
Why? Gives you something to complain about on the internet!

I'm not an optical engineer, but I believe I read somewhere that there are a few more lenses involved with FFP scopes and glass is fairy heavy. There is a ZCO thread over on the hide where they are expressing speculation and desire over a lightweight offering from them. One of the vendors (the OP I believe) stated that the desired weight range would be difficult to achieve for a FFP design.

ETA: I could be smoking crack with my above answer. I just did a little googling and couldn't come up with anything. Hopefully someone has a good answer for you.

Why? Gives you something to complain about on the internet!
You sir, are a wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm not an optical engineer, but I believe I read somewhere that there are a few more lenses involved with FFP scopes and glass is fairy heavy. There is a ZCO thread over on the hide where they are expressing speculation and desire over a lightweight offering from them. One of the vendors (the OP I believe) stated that the desired weight range would be difficult to achieve for a FFP design.

ETA: I could be smoking crack with my above answer. I just did a little googling and couldn't come up with anything. Hopefully someone has a good answer for you.

You sir, are a wealth of knowledge.
Thank you! :)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back