Why? CA hunting licenses over time.

Saw a few others with the same idea, the hunters are leaving and moving elsewhere. Many I know including myself didn't like the direction of politics, herd management, and everything else going on.

A lot of good has already been said here, but I think anyone who has spent time in the field, or has put out trail cameras knows that the state population estimate of mountain lions is BS. Because most of California habitat is so thick, their is a lot of ambush opportunities for lions.
That being said if you want to increase deer population (this was also advice from a deer biologist) you need to improve the habitat, better nutrition leads to a lot more sets of twins being born. Better habitat coupled with predator control leads to higher success of fawn survival. Try to help as many fawns as possible survive, if that continues to happen after a few years your population really begins to explode. There are obviously a lot of factors but I don’t believe deer populations are being hurt in California because to many tags are issued, maybe for beck age class but not deer numbers. We don’t get issued doe tags except I think for maybe a few junior hunts but lots of does having lots of fawns that survive equals a boom in deer population.

I would encourage every hunter to try to really hammer coyotes in the spring, it’s the only predator we can hit during fawning season.

Would be interesting if bear season was changed to spring rather than fall if we would get closer to reaching that quota? I know for me and my friends bears can take a back seat because you are deer hunting here or out of state or both.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back