Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whole quarter

WildWill

Was watching a new Meateater recently where Steve grills a whole sika deer quarter and it looked amazing. I decided to give it a try with the ham of a smaller whitetail doe my wife shot last week.20191201_152530.jpg20191201_172032.jpg20191201_190823.jpg
I trimmed the ham put it in Claudes beef brisket marinade for a couple hours studded it with garlic then rubbed the outside liberally with my own mix of seasoning. I then put it on the pellet smoker at 325F till the internal temp hit just over 130F flipping it once during the process. Let it rest before carving.20191201_191917.jpg
We had several friends over for game night and it was quickly devoured the dogs even took care of the bones.

I see people cook whole rear quarters, but what about the little gland/node on the inside of the quarter? Do you remove first?

Looks good!

I have done whole, bone-in hindquarters on bear before. A little different than a medium-rare deer though. Brined for a week, then smoked to a temp closer to 160 because you want to cook bear more thoroughly.

Was thinking about this just a few days ago when butchering a mule deer. It’s known as a steamship round. I’m sure it works best with young animals. I decided not to do it with a mule deer because of the amount of meat involved. I’ve been waffling on shooting a whitetail this year. I may make a slightly bigger effort with this in mind.

I've got a buddy that does something called a "flip flop".

He marinates a whole hind (small), forest up a Weber and then grills one side over direct hot heat while basting the other. Once the down side sears, he flips it and thinly sliced off the sear while the other side cooks and bastes after the slice. He keeps doing this until it's gone and it's an eat as you go ordeal so everyone gathers around the Weber. It's a pretty sweet way to eat a hind and perfect for pronghorn or small deer.

I used to do a flip / flop bbq with a whole hind qtr. on a Webber bbq. I’d let it cook on one side for awhile flip it and slice off some meat. Just keep continue flipping it.I did it as an appetizer. Try it you‘ll like it!

I've got a buddy that does something called a "flip flop".

He marinates a whole hind (small), forest up a Weber and then grills one side over direct hot heat while basting the other. Once the down side sears, he flips it and thinly sliced off the sear while the other side cooks and bastes after the slice. He keeps doing this until it's gone and it's an eat as you go ordeal so everyone gathers around the Weber. It's a pretty sweet way to eat a hind and perfect for pronghorn or small deer.
Thats interesting . Good way to spend some time around the fire telling lies and eating the meat as it gets cooked.

Back