Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coues Hind Quarter Recipe

OhHeyThereBen

After watching part 3 of the Arizona hunt and drooling at my desk, I'm wondering how you guys went about cooking the hind quarter there? I personally have an older beat up Traeger grill (it was an old show model that my dad dropped out of his truck back in the day) and am hoping that you guys can share a bit for everyone on here on how you did it!

Here's my guess:
- Dry rubbed with salt and pepper or your favorite brand rub.
- 6 hours on the grill starting on a high heat for about 15 minutes, followed by a smoking temp for the remainder of the time.

This is probably my favorite way to cook venison and am hoping to get some details for everyone else on here with a pellet grill.

I have to say, I'm entirely jealous of the mini travel Traeger! That must be a relatively new model? I know that the smaller grills they had when my dad was selling them were pretty much garbage and we gave them away with other grill purchases.

We have videos on all the cooking segments you saw in that hunt. They will be released next week.

I was kinda wondering if that was the case. I kept waiting for more tidbits that I could use on a couple of whitetail shoulder roasts I've been saving for a rainy day. I'll stay tuned! Good work down there.

I could never tell any difference between coues and other WT as far as taste goes. Whatever floats your boat for WT will work well with coues. Only difference is you need less quantity of ingredients for those itty bitty coues haha

Oh man, when you see his javelina hams, you are going to get hungry.

Since moving here, I’ve found there is no middle ground on javelina edibility opinions.

Unfortunately I missed and will have to wait until next year to find out.

Javelina hams? I'm skeptical. The popular recipe seemed to be the pit method. Dig a pit, start a fire, bury javelina in pit, forget where you buried it hahaha. Now, I would never waste game meat, but always thought that was funny. Chorizo and summer sausage is where my piggies always ended up.

bigjay, you have missed the bucket with javelina. It is great stuff. Turning it into sausage is just a waste in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back