who here in Alaska is going after bear

300wsm

Just wondering who lives in Alaska is going after bear, I plan to head up on the Denali hwy in about a week & half or so to chase a spring bear

Hey 300wsm, sorry to hijack your thread, but a couple quick questions.

Never been up there in the spring before. Kind of wondering about clothing selection. Thinking I'll just go w/ long johns, a pair of camo hunting trousers, and my good cold weather Cabelas gore tex rain gear as a shell and wind breaker layer, with similar layering on top.
This would be opposed to taking my heavy wool pants, a heavy insulated parka, and all that.
Thoughts ?

Looking at the photos of successful hunters, most don't look to be dressed in very heavy clothing.

Thoughts ?

sounds like it should work, also might want to include some fleece clothing as well, I like the fleece stuff, did your guide or outfitter recomend anything.

You going by snowmachine, or do you have a place in mind that isn't too far off the Parks or Richardson? If its a non snowmachine deal, I may be able to swing a weekend.

guppie9
Yes we are planning on going by snow machine, if your looking for a place to do a walk in I heard by Honolulu creek on the parks is supposed to be pretty good

Oops, first post was in the wrong spot!

Anyhow, I'll be hunting brownies and blacks here in S.E. Alaska. Gonna try Bradfield Canal for a change of pace. I'm also interested in the Brown bear predator hunts up north for fun.

As soon as the Tanana goes out I'm heading down river from Nenana.

Guppie, its a bit of a drive and you absolutley need a BLM land status map but...the Elliot Hwy, west of the Dalton cutoff has really good bears. Bait in the creek bottoms and make sure you are not on Doyon or TCC lands(thus the map) some is posted some is not. I cut some big blackie sign along Baker creek and was going to bait there but as of last fall, its now native land.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back