who has heard a mountain lion scream

220yotekiller

when l was about 14 or so my mom and l were walking back to our house just after dark when we heard what sounded like a woman screaming for help, we got back to the house and my dad told us that it was ''just'' a mountain lion calling.
another one woke my mom up because it was screaming right outside our house, it was at where dad had slaughtered a steer for beef.
lt was the scariest thing that l have ever heard in my life, l havn't heard it since l'm glad l havn't. and l must admit that the threat of lions is always in the back of my mind when l'm out hunting after dark.
any one else ever hear a lion scream...

Heard one outside my bedroom window after having just gotten up with my youngest daughter, who was a baby at the time. She had been crying, and I remember feeding her a bottle while in one of those sleep deprived states that only a parent with a young infant in the house understands. With a full belly, she quit crying and went back to sleep. I myself had just laid back down when that cat screamed just outside my window. I just about shat myself and my wife who had slept through the baby crying sat straight up in bed. I figure the baby crying must have been what called it in close to the house.

I have heard newborn mountain lion kittens calling for their mama. I have heard what I am pretty sure was a couple of young cougars wrestling. But I have never heard a scream. It was once described to me as the sound of a woman screaming while she is being murdered by her husband. I think that the fact that he gave that description is probably more disturbing than the actual scream.

First time I heard one was when I was ten years old. It was a warm autumn night, and we had all the windows open. I was reading in bed when I heard a horrible screaming sound coming from the field behind our house. I thought a women was being murdered. My dad heard it as well, and let us know that it was a mountain lion. The next day I went with my dad to investigate. The cat had killed a doe in the field, and drug it under a large oak tree at the edge of the tree line. The doe was covered with leaves. We never did see the cat, but I’m sure it was watching us. The cat came back the next night and made the same screaming sounds. My dad fired a few shots off into he dirt, and the night fell silent. Never did hear that cat again.

As an adult, I’ve heard mountain lions a few times while camping, or hiking. Always makes my hair standup.

This thread is why I carry a 10mm G20 in a chest harness in the woods. Hunting or hiking. Heavens forbid I'm ever in that kinda situation... at least have some backup protection. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Now I've heard the scream from this video. Creepy AF.

Never heard a mt lion do it, but heard bobcats a few times. First time I was about 8 years old. Dad and I were skinning a deer in great grandma's garage and he asked me to run to the house and grab a roll of paper towels or something and I come strolling out of the house in the pitch black and one started screaming just above the garage in the stand of pines. That sound gave me nightmares. I wouldn't do the deer drive thru those pines again until I was 17 years old. God awful sound!

I have heard a couple over the years never fails to get the blood pressure up and the imagination running.

Heard one in Colorado right behind us as my bro in law were bent over cutting up his bull... pistols were then drawn

Several times.
At the old place in the canyon across the creek in the garden. The dogs came in when I went out and turned the suspension bridge lights on and there was one at the other end...

Once as a Ranger in the full park campground, that got some attention. Found a doe buried in the bushes behind the station.

Heard one a couple years ago in the Gila cutting firewood. I had just turned off the saw and was watching some cow elk move nearby. They just kept feeding but ears were out. Rio came right to my side next to the truck. Growling.

I've heard them a couple times, all in North Idaho. One time I was on a solo backpack trip on the N. Fork of the St. Joe, just me and the three legged wonder dog Zack. We both heard it and Zack was glued to my leg. Only time I ever saw that dog scared, and he'd take on coyotes, bulls, tractor tires - whatever.

I have heard them but very rarely, quite disturbing sounds.
Nowadays I hear wolves "talking" back and forth it is very disturbing also.

Kind of a strange place; I was turkey hunting at Swanson Reservoir in Nebraska and had hiked into the area in the dark and sat down. About 10 minutes later I hear this horrible scream very close by. It lasted for about 10 minutes. I was stuck in the dark so I just sat there with my back against a tree.

Another time about 25 miles west in Kansas I saw several lions at various times. I never thought of those areas as being lion habitat. There a lot of deer so that explains it, I guess.

When I was in college a friend and I went deer hunting on Mt. Nebo. We separated and went up the mountain. I got a buck and made it into a back pack type sling and headed down the mountain at nearly dark. About half way down I hear this muffled scream behind me. I start laughing and telling my buddy he was not a very good spook. This continued all the way down and I really thought it was my friend messing with me. When I got to the pickup I dropped the deer into the bed and my friend sat up in the cab. A lion had followed me for a long way.

Last edited:
A friend and I were hiking back to the pickup in the dark after chasing elk around, we heard what I would assume was a lion. It was the most god awful noise I've ever heard to this day and scared the living shit out of us. It sounded like it was within 100 yards but we never could see what it was...

Just after dark. I got up to head back back to the truck and it screamed abt 80 yards away. such an odd sound I thought it was another hunter just f'ing w/ me.
Went back the next day to confirm the tracks in the snow

When I was in college on my hunting sabbatical, I woke up in the middle of the night to a lion screaming. We heard coyotes every night, but that night it sounded like the coyotes and lion were fighting. Super eerie sound, especially in the middle of the night when you are alone in camp.

Back