Who glass beds their rifles?

huntin24/7

I’m sure this has been discussed, but there’s not a lot exciting to talk about right now so thought Id start another thread. I’m thinking about giving it a try after watching some videos and it not looking all that hard. Do you do the lug and the tang, the whole action? Any basic pitfalls to avoid? I have an older rem 700 223 I rarely use that I can use for my practice round so to speak.

You can buy a can of the spray release agent or you can just use some shoe polish if you have some laying around. I’ve used both with good results

I’m sure this has been discussed, but there’s not a lot exciting to talk about right now so thought Id start another thread. I’m thinking about giving it a try after watching some videos and it not looking all that hard. Do you do the lug and the tang, the whole action? Any basic pitfalls to avoid? I have an older rem 700 223 I rarely use that I can use for my practice round so to speak.

do the whole thing. If you need help along the way just ask and I’ll walk you through.

I do pillars first then glass the action after the pillars are cured. I glass the barrel channel too more for a sealant than anything. Use vinyl tape under the barrel so it's floated when you're done. You can also fix a warped forearm or re center your channel with glass/ 2 part but that's a whole discussion on it's own.

As others have said release agent and make sure there's no mechanical lock. I'll add that the action doesn't take as much as you think, it's easy to make a huge mess.

I have not done it, but my buddy that does my gun work is good at it, so he gets the nod. I think that it really helps stabilize especially the wooden stocks.

I have mine glass bedded, and when I had a Model 70 built into a custom 280 AI, I had the gunsmith pillar & glass bed the action. Same thing on my son's 6mm Remington which is a Ruger MKII. All of my other rifles have at least been glass bedded.

Give it at try. The prep work and careful clean up takes most of the time. Actually bedding a rifle isn’t to hard.
Bed the lug, sides of action all the way to the tang and the tang.
A few tips
I tape off the bottom of the lug with a layer of vinyl tape.

Use clay to fill the magazine cutout of the action and trigger cutout/ trigger pin holes.Always Remove trigger when bedding action.

I tape off the stock right at the line where it meets the action all the way around and forward of the lug at least 4-6”. Apply release agent to the tape also.

Use bolts with the head cut off as installation studs to guide the action into place. Use release agent on the threads and entire bolt before screwing them into the action.

Once you have set the action into the stock let the compound ooze out and dry for about 15 minutes. Use WD-40 and qtips to clean all unnecessary excess compound. Makes for an easier cleanup when dried also.

Good luck and have fun. You will be nervous but use a good release agent applied all over and you will be fine.

Really pretty easy. I do the recoil lug and the rear tang and also the flat where the front screw comes up.

@cahunter805 really hit the important points. The tape on the bottom of the lug may or may not be all that important BUT I DO IT AND RECOMMEND IT. There are tons of release agents that will work. I use Partal Paste #2. I spent a short period casting some very large parts in
polyurethane foam and we tried 10-15 different release agents before landing on that. Guys in the industry have probably figured out stuff that works even better, but Partal worked better than any other wax or silicone based release we tried spray or otherwise. I don’t remember what it costs. If it’s too much, don’t worry about it. Other products will work well enough. I have a tub that I bought for other purposes and it will last my lifetime for bedding actions. My actions come out a lot easier than my dad’s. He uses some sort of paste wax from Hole Depot intended for woodworking or something like that. I used it before I discovered Partal, and it does work, but not as well. When I say it works well, I’m not referring to the finished product. I’m only referring to how easily the action comes out of the stock.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back