Who gets more sun in the winter?

Irrelevant

The answer is Seattle if you live in Wenatchee.
1673573998574.png
I'd like to add some more stations, but there seems to be some server issues this evening. Clearly we are the kings of the inversion. We'll even get inversion clouds even when get weather systems moving through for the double whammy of darkness.

Working out around Douglas/Grant County line yesterday and caught about 5 minutes of a little patch of blue peeking through, it was awesome! We're competing with Seattle for precip at this point, been trying to enjoy this winter but man this wet snow really blows. Probably should drink more.

Inversions, ugh. Thinking about Grand Junction and SLC. Lotta days the ski area 3000 vertical feet above GJ was 5-10 degrees warmer than GJ when it had snow on the ground.
And if you live on top of the 38 road hill on East Orchard Mesa you’re above the inversion :)

That inversion last Friday in the treasure valley made it all the way to Baker. Our road has been a sheet of ice and snow for about six weeks. We said the hell with it. Had the Airstream hooked up, loaded and ready by 1000 hours. Crossed the Snake river about noon, made Winnemuca by dinner time.
Heading to Yuma this morning from Parker. Gotta love Arizona!

Attachments

• AAFC97E9-3523-4295-A199-8D7F81A8CB31.jpeg
    AAFC97E9-3523-4295-A199-8D7F81A8CB31.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 9FA120FE-5EC5-441E-9A23-F04B90A1FADE.jpeg
    9FA120FE-5EC5-441E-9A23-F04B90A1FADE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
in my business we monitor the weather very closely. I grew up in the once awesome place now turned total craphole Bellingham. then lived in Portland for 30 years. Have literally spent millions of miles flying and driving all over the NW. Portland and Seattle get the same annual rainfall within and 1 or so historically. Seattle has twice as many cloudy days because they are right on the ocean. The suicide rate is Seattle is one of the highest in the country. They say because its so gloomy. So basically some people sit around and say it its cloudy one more day that's it.

I personally think the NW is gods country. That's what I say my region is when people ask about my work. However god gives us in Boise more sunshine. I think he likes it a little better. Way less shitty people.

in my business we monitor the weather very closely. I grew up in the once awesome place now turned total craphole Bellingham. then lived in Portland for 30 years. Have literally spent millions of miles flying and driving all over the NW. Portland and Seattle get the same annual rainfall within and 1 or so historically. Seattle has twice as many cloudy days because they are right on the ocean. The suicide rate is Seattle is one of the highest in the country. They say because its so gloomy. So basically some people sit around and say it its cloudy one more day that's it.

I personally think the NW is gods country. That's what I say my region is when people ask about my work. However god gives us in Boise more sunshine. I think he likes it a little better. Way less shitty people.
Think Seattle's bad for gloom, check out the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area ugh.

I've been struggling more and more with the grey clouds or lack of sun. I seriously haven't seen the sun, except for some brief moments skiing since Dec. Possibly before Christmas.

I had no idea when I moved here from the Seattle area that I would be seeing less sun in the winters. People used to say Wenatchee got 300 days of sunshine a year, but I've since learned that was an older ski area marketing claim, since they're always above the inversions.

I will certainly start snow birding like @Salmonchaser as soon as I can. I NEED more sun. I've been popping vit D like their pez, which helps, but still not enough.

I've been struggling more and more with the grey clouds or lack of sun. I seriously haven't seen the sun, except for some brief moments skiing since Dec. Possibly before Christmas.

I had no idea when I moved here from the Seattle area that I would be seeing less sun in the winters. People used to say Wenatchee got 300 days of sunshine a year, but I've since learned that was an older ski area marketing claim, since they're always above the inversions.

I will certainly start snow birding like @Salmonchaser as soon as I can. I NEED more sun. I've been popping vit D like their pez, which helps, but still not enough.
I struggle with lack of sun as well. I didn't think vitamin D did much for me. A SAD light helped more, but the best thing is just to get outside, cloudy or not. If that doesn't work, pick up a couple handles of your favorite whisky.

I struggle with lack of sun as well. I didn't think vitamin D did much for me. A SAD light helped more, but the best thing is just to get outside, cloudy or not. If that doesn't work, pick up a couple handles of your favorite whisky.
I absolutely don't know how Alaskans do it. I think you're crazy. I would HAVE to snowbird, even if it was just Seattle.

But this little analysis has led me to believe that between Dec 1 and sometime in Feb, Wenatchee WA is on average the single darkness place in the lower 48, much darker then the gloomy rainforest.

I never thought about Winter overcast days as much as I looked at the whole year of "sunny" days.

On average, there are 152 sunny days per year in Seattle. Wenatchee averages 200 sunny days per year. The US average is 205 sunny days.​
Seattle, Washington gets 38 inches of rain, on average, per year. Wenatchee, Washington gets 9 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38.1 inches of rain per year.​
Seattle averages 4.6 inches of snow per year. Wenatchee averages 26.9 inches of snow per year. The US average is 27.8 inches of snow per year.​

Where I live it averages 260 sunny days a year, and the overcast Winter days yeah they are what they are, and it shortens the day markedly. But it is like the Shades of grey are less important. Grey is Gray...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back