Caribou Gear Tarp

Who Am I?

A2Z

I’m grew up in Montana and now looking back I wish I would have hunted more. That being said the only hunt I went on was where I sat in a deer stand and shot a whitetail doe when I was in high school. It was good, but didn’t keep me interested in hunting. I was more focused on sports than the outdoors. A couple years later I attended school in Idaho and got my degree in accounting. I decided to teach myself how to hunt and what made me interested in hunting was the adventure, challenge, and of course the ability to obtain your own food.

This fall will be my 3rd hunting season (not counting the one above). The prior two hunting seasons involved me attempting to kill my first buck, but I ended up eating tag soup for both the prior years. I mainly hunted alone and the learning curve is very steep but hopefully with school completed I'm able to have more time. This year feels like it might be my year.

That's still a little tender.... It was mid October and day two in on a 3 day solo hunt, it was prime time around 5:30 and I was still hunting in some sage that was right on the outside of the timber. I stopped and pulled my binos up and saw the first deer of the trip. I thought "that looks like a deer's butt, then that looks like ears, then the deer's head turned and I realized it was a good buck. At first I thought it was a nice 4 point but honestly I cant remember entirely if I saw 4 points. I only remember two big points. Anyways... I proceeded to try to unbuckle my backpack and drop to my knee to get a shot. (I had heard of buck fever but I had never experienced it until this moment) I was around 50-60 yards if I had to guess and I could not get steady. My leg was just bouncing. The sage was too tall for me to see the buck on my knee so I stood back up.

After I stood up I put my binos on him again.... not sure why i did this...rookie.... after that I put my rifle on him and he never turned broadside he just took one bounce and I put the crosshairs right in front of him and completely missed.... It still hurts thinking about it. I made several mistakes...

I learned lot from this experience and made some costly mistakes that I now know what I would have done differently. I did find a lot of elk which was cool to see and to hear them bugle in mid October is pretty cool. I found a few more deer later that night and on day three but they were all does. I didn't see another buck.

Welcome and have fun. I have clean missed every big buck I’ve ever tried to shoot due to “the fever” 😂 This is my 31st hunting season

• Haha
Reactions: A2Z
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back