Which to choose?

Rzrbk

A friend who also makes custom gun stocks offered me a choice of a 12 ga. browning A-5, or a Mauser 98 in 7X57.
I only know that both guns will have beautiful custom stocks and will be in working order. The Mauser has a scope, but I don't know what kind. I haven't seen photos of either gun and hate to ask as it might seem like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

With nothing else to go on, is there a clear winner? I don't know much about Mauser, much less the 7X57 cartridge. I have quite a few shotguns and several rifles and so neither of the choices win on that ground.

Not familiar with the Mauser but the Browning A-5 is an absolute dream and I get a little giddy-happy every time I get to borrow it.

I killed my first antelope, deer and elk with a 7x57. It's my mom's.
Flip a coin and enjoy which ever one wins

Not familiar with the Mauser but the Browning A-5 is an absolute dream and I get a little giddy-happy every time I get to borrow it.
I grew up in a shotgunning crowd and so yes, the Browning A-5 was something everyone dreamed of owning yet only one person we knew actually owned one. No one could afford it when you could get a decent shotgun at a better price. I grew up in a no-frills community where quail hunting was king. So, my thoughts immediately went to the Browning but I realize I know next to nothing about the Mauser. I'd mainly like to choose the gun that would be considered of more value in a gun collection, more recognizable, more of a reputation/history among gunowners, and overall value also plays into the mix.

This is the year of the gun because another elderly friend recently gave me three guns, one of which was a Winchester 1873 blackpowder leveraction in 38-40. It's in awesome condition, still shoots and has me looking at 38-40 reloading data to figure out how to safely build the blackpowder cartridge.

Browning is red headed stepchild.

7x57 Mauser is a timeless classic.
This is good. I was hoping to hear from folks familiar with the Mauser 98 and it's place/reputation in the gun world. I'd never really heard of a 7X57 but it looks to be a respectable cartridge and still in production. I currently shoot a .280 or 6.5 Creedmoor and sometimes a 303 British if I feel the urge to use a classic relic from the past that also has a custom stock from the same guy offering the Mauser or Browning. .

Wow, Mauser 98 by a mile. THE classic action, and a classic cartridge. With custom stock, wow. If you don't like it, I'll give you tre-fiddy for it.

Last edited:
Wow, Mauser 98 by a mile. THE classic action, and a classic cartridge. With custom stock, wow. If you don't like it, I'll give you tre-fiddy for it.
1683849556035.png
Sorry to derail, I couldn't resist.
My vote is the Mauser too, I love Mausers.

What era of A5 are we talking? Modern inertia system, or a Belgian-made with recoil driven action?

I’m a shotgun fan, and might have to do the A5 if it were one from Belgium, but the Mauser gets my vote.

Yes, it's the Belgian.
So, I ended up choosing the Browning A-5. I'll attach photos. It has an extra barrel and choke tubes for both.

The Mauser was a military "98" version where it was fitted with a custom stock and then added a non-original scope rail so it would take a scope. The fact it was not original with the scope rail was a knock against the Mauser. Also, I can't really get past the fact that in my youth the A-5 was up there with Raquel Welch as an object of my desire. I don't think I'll regret having a classic Browning A-5 as it doesn't age like Raquel ;the shape will always be sexy! Thanks for input from everyone!

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000 (2).jpg
    image000000 (2).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image000000 (3).jpg
    image000000 (3).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000 (4).jpg
    image000000 (4).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 12
Yes, it's the Belgian.
So, I ended up choosing the Browning A-5. I'll attach photos. It has an extra barrel and choke tubes for both.

The Mauser was a military "98" version where it was fitted with a custom stock and then added a non-original scope rail so it would take a scope. The fact it was not original with the scope rail was a knock against the Mauser. Also, I can't really get past the fact that in my youth the A-5 was up there with Raquel Welch as an object of my desire. I don't think I'll regret having a classic Browning A-5 as it doesn't age like Raquel ;the shape will always be sexy! Thanks for input from everyone!
1683902289341.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back