PEAX Equipment

Which state next?

Which state would you invest the time and money in to an OTC Elk Tag next?

• Idaho

• Montana

• Colorado

• Utah General

Results are only viewable after voting.

2rocky

My Bucket list has been to kill an elk in each of the 11 Continental Western States plus Alaska. I'm part way there but the draws have been getting tougher and tougher.

AZ -
CA - 2010 Tule elk bull Archery
NV -
OR - 2006 RM Bull Archery
WA -
ID -
MT-
CO-
WY- 5 bulls - Rifle 2006-2015
NM- 2016 bull Valle Vidal - Rifle
UT -

AZ, WA, and NV, are ALL draw so I'm at the mercy of the tag gods...
My Question is , of the remaining states, which ones that have OTC options that are worth pursuing? Yes i am aware of ID , CO and MT with abundant quality General/OTC tags. Those I need to research areas.

It is more a question of whether a General area tag in Utah is worth purchasing before one of the big 3 (ID,CO,MT) If I don't draw my dream hunt.

Keep in mind that there are limited hunts in Colorado that can be had with zero points that will cut down on the hunter competition. I’m sorting through that dilemma now trying to plan out next year’s hunt.

In western Washington the Roosevelt elk tag is OTC and I believe many to most units allow you to hunt the larger bulls, but I've never hunted west side so my info could be bogus. Eastern Washington has OTC tags for spikes and there are even some areas that allow branched antler bulls without a draw-tag. In fact, where I farm is an any bull area and for a modest fee I could give you access. Now, in full disclosure I've only seen 5 cow elk on the farm in over 40 years of farming here and they looked tired and confused.

Of the 4, I'd guess Utah OTC won't be around for as many more years as the others, with human population growth in that state and increased hunting demand. If I was in your situation I'd target that next, knowing especially CO and MT opportunity are going nowhere anytime soon.

I would do whichever is likely to be hardest to obtain in the near future. Utah OTC may go away and if that happens you may never get a chance at a Utah bull.

OTC washington is tough.. Killed a few bulls there.

In Utah, I would focus on the mid rifle LE tags, way better odds and still good hunts.
Idaho is going to get tougher and more expensive.

Back