Which Sitka Jacket

StHubert

I am looking at getting a new jacket for hunting in the mountains. I have a good packable rain jacket and pants. So I am contemplating either getting a jacket with goretex or one without. For those of you who have used Sitka jackets, which one do you think would be the best one to get?
Thanks,
Steve

I think if you have the rain gear I would go with the Jetstream jacket. It's definitely and all around jacket. I have the vest not the jacket, but wearing the vest would lead me in the direction of the jacket as well.

I'd go without Gore-Tex if you already have rain gear. The 90% or Jetstream Jackets are both killer pieces.

You have to decide what you want, rain gear or a soft shell. Rain gear doesn't breathe well and soft shell don't keep you dry in a downpour. I have yet to see a combo type jacket that works well at all. IMO, you are better off with two seperate pieces. Sitka soft shells (90%/Jetstream/Stratus) are coated with a DWR finish that will block a passing shower, but not a full on deluge. My favorite soft shell is also the Jetstream. If you want packable rain gear, you want the new Dewpoint.

Last edited:
I have been wanting a KIUI Chugach or Guide...no stock in Vias Camo. Gave my tags on Sitka 90% jacket and pants sausage casings to my son.

You have to decide what you want, rain gear or a soft shell. Rain gear doesn't breathe well and soft shell don't keep you dry in a downpour. I have yet to see a combo type jacket that works well at all. IMO, you are better off with two seperate pieces. Sitka soft shells (90%/Jetstream/Stratus) are coated with a DWR finish that will block a passing shower, but not a full on deluge. My favorite soft shell is also the Jetstream. If you want packable rain gear, you want the new Dewpoint.

I have the downpour rain system from Sitka and I was in Alaska this fall Moose hunting and it rained every day. The downpour worked great, just got a little cold from my layering system and realized I needed a softshell jacket.

Do any of you wear any of the treestand stuff (I know this is a threadjack but I am in the East)? Specifically the Fanatic jacket? I wear layers under my ascent and/or downpour jackets and it's ok but it's going to eventually be too cold for that. It looks great but pricey, wonder what folks think before I drop the $.

I really like the celsius jacket, which sadly is no longer made, but always available on ebay. Its very quiet and just warm enough for active use in the mountains, without being bulky and heavy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back