Which Scope for New Rifle

RugerHawg413

I just bought a new Savage 10 .308, and am looking to buy a new scope for it. I have looked at Trijicon Accupower and Accupoint, Nightforce SHV, Zeiss Conquest V4, and some Leupolds. But with the Leupolds, I just can't find a reticle that they make that I like. And if there is a brand that I am not thinking about please mention them. I am looking at 12 to 18 power (preferably 16-18 power). Thanks for the info and knowledge.

What kind of reticle are you looking for? Will you be dialing the scope? Is weight/size a consideration? Is that amount of magnification a personal preference or is the type of shooting your doing lend itself to needing that much?

What kind of reticle are you looking for? Will you be dialing the scope? Is weight/size a consideration? Is that amount of magnification a personal preference or is the type of shooting your doing lend itself to needing that much?
I like Mil-Dot and BDC reticles not Duplex reticles, I will not be dialing the scope, weight/size is not a big deal on this setup. The amount of magnification is more of a personal preference than anything.

I just got an Open Box Zeiss V4 (22oz)...quality beats the heck out of the Leupold V3i scopes I have but at nearly double the price I expected that.

I hear a lot of good about the Meopta Optika6 line. My concern is they are heavy (30oz) but glass is supposed to be really good. You'll have to decide reticle and if you want SFP or FFP. I see some sales where they compete very well with the Leupold VX3 line but are optically superior. There is a line of Optika5 that should be out this summer that offers a little better light transmission but who know when they'll hit shelves

Thanks for the link. Yeah, that one looks pretty sweet. Do you own one? And if you do what is your opinion of it? Thanks!
Just read reviews on them.

I just got an Open Box Zeiss V4 (22oz)...quality beats the heck out of the Leupold V3i scopes I have but at nearly double the price I expected that.

I hear a lot of good about the Meopta Optika6 line. My concern is they are heavy (30oz) but glass is supposed to be really good. You'll have to decide reticle and if you want SFP or FFP. I see some sales where they compete very well with the Leupold VX3 line but are optically superior. There is a line of Optika5 that should be out this summer that offers a little better light transmission but who know when they'll hit shelves
The FFP Optika6s look sweet! I'm cheap, so will probably just keep slumming SWFA 3-9s.

I got a SWFA 6X last year on a Tikka. The gun puts 10 rounds under an inch on demand. When I turn the turrets, everything moves as expected. I'd look at their scopes. I've never owned a Night Force, but they'll probably work too if they have what you want.

I just bought a new Savage 10 .308, and am looking to buy a new scope for it. I have looked at Trijicon Accupower and Accupoint, Nightforce SHV, Zeiss Conquest V4, and some Leupolds. But with the Leupolds, I just can't find a reticle that they make that I like. And if there is a brand that I am not thinking about please mention them. I am looking at 12 to 18 power (preferably 16-18 power). Thanks for the info and knowledge.

So, what reticle do you like and why?

What is your intended purpose for the rifle? I am assuming hunting. How far do you intend to be shooting? If for hunting at what game?

Back