Which rifle should I sell?

Bullshot

I have too many overlapping rifles…. That much is true. I really like them all, but am considering being a responsible adult and paring it down. I may need to decide on selling either my 280 Remington 700 mountain rifle or my 30/06 Remington 700 mountain rifle.

The 280 I bought used. It’s a 1980’s vintage in fantastic shape but needs a new buttpad installed which I already bought but have not attempted to install. This rifle has a real classic look and a polished, non knurled bolt handle that I like. Round count, however, is unknown. I’ve put less than a box through it but with the thin, age hardened butt pad, it kicked like hell.

The 30-06 was an early 2000’s that I had bought new for my dad. It has seen limited range use and only 1 hunt (a successful WY antelope). Seems to prefer 180 grain factory loads. Maybe 150 rounds through it. I inherited it back 5 years ago and have not used it since.

Both rifles probably fit the same purpose. Their hunts would likely be limited to deer and elk, I don’t ever intend to use either for dangerous game. 280 is a bit “cooler” but the 30/06 perhaps more versatile if I wish to develop widely varying loads.

Any thoughts on whats a better overall package in these caliber/model combos or am I just firmly in the flip a coin and get on with it territory?

I Wouldn't se your .260.
Probably most under rated deer rifle cartridge ever.

The reasons I have so many guns is I never sell them. But I don’t have overlapping calibers. I have calibers that will work for multiple critters sure but I consider them separate. I have hunt specific rifles. That I get to use several in a season.

The reasons I have so many guns is I never sell them. But I don’t have overlapping calibers. I have calibers that will work for multiple critters sure but I consider them separate. I have hunt specific rifles. That I get to use several in a season.
I’ve got plenty of overlapping calibers. But different type guns among them. For instance 300 win mag has always been a fav caliber. I most commonly use my .300 Sako but it’s heavy and if it’s super wet or I’ve gotta go super far my .300 model 70 with synthetic stock, stainless barrel.
Deer season I may shoot a few w the Sako, switch to a 700 .243 than carry an iron sighted model 94. Every day with another rifle is opening day. That’s why I told the op to keep em

Isn’t everyone obligated to have a 7MM and a .30? One reason I’d keep them both is that there may come a day when you just can’t find ammo for one or the other. Come to think of it today might be that day. Another reason is that maybe one goes out of commission for whatever reason and it’s right in the middle of hunting season. You’ve got to have a backup that you can trust.

Good points all - certainly I usually am in the camp of buy, never sell (but lately I have let go of a couple nice ones, a .243 and .270)

My remaining inventory is PLENTY to keep me from being gun poor… in big game calibers, from 260 to 45/70. I just pulled all my Rems out and stacked them next to each other…. a pretty picture that would make a few if you jealous, and more than
a few point out that a real rifleman only needs one (a good and true point). But I guess this is how I placate my angst of not actually hunting as much as I’d like… yeah, at times I recognize that as a poser move…. but a poser with a bunch of nice guns at least.

Anyway, the good remarks on these two rifles in question does encapsulate my dilemma, they ARE both great rifles. After looking at them out of the safe a few
minutes ago, I would lean on keeping the 280. It just has that slightly more custom-gunsmithed feel like older guns do. I will chew on this for a while longer…. Can ALWAYS sell later, harder to get one back if I regret it.

I’d be interested in talking price on the 06 if you end up not listening to these yahoo’s advice—which is good advice—but I don’t have an 06 and that itself is also wrong.

I have too many overlapping rifles…. That much is true. I really like them all, but am considering being a responsible adult and paring it down. I may need to decide on selling either my 280 Remington 700 mountain rifle or my 30/06 Remington 700 mountain rifle.

The 280 I bought used. It’s a 1980’s vintage in fantastic shape but needs a new buttpad installed which I already bought but have not attempted to install. This rifle has a real classic look and a polished, non knurled bolt handle that I like. Round count, however, is unknown. I’ve put less than a box through it but with the thin, age hardened butt pad, it kicked like hell.

The 30-06 was an early 2000’s that I had bought new for my dad. It has seen limited range use and only 1 hunt (a successful WY antelope). Seems to prefer 180 grain factory loads. Maybe 150 rounds through it. I inherited it back 5 years ago and have not used it since.

Both rifles probably fit the same purpose. Their hunts would likely be limited to deer and elk, I don’t ever intend to use either for dangerous game. 280 is a bit “cooler” but the 30/06 perhaps more versatile if I wish to develop widely varying loads.

Any thoughts on whats a better overall package in these caliber/model combos or am I just firmly in the flip a coin and get on with it territory?
Well if you decide to sell that .280 mountain rifle. Look me up. PM me, whatever. I’m interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back