Which Mystery Ranch?

Jonesy125

Looking for a little help in trying to decide what route to take. I am considering either the sawtooth 45 or the Metcalf, leaning pretty hard towards the sawtooth mainly because I like how it seems so much easier to keep the pack organized vs the Metcalf. My only real concern is for 3-5 day outings I am a little worried it isn't large enough. My biggest loads would be when I am solo and have the 12 man kifaru and stove with me, (pretty rare) but I figured I could always pack stuff in the load hauler portion if needed? Anyone with any experience chiming in would be great before I pull the trigger on a new pack.

The sawtooth only has about 2750 cu in. Where as the metcalf is at 4300 cu in. For 3-5 day trips, why not look at the Beartooth? The Beartooth has a lot of built in organization and room (5100 cu in). I have the Metcalf and I bought some smaller bags to help add organization.

What will you be primarily hunting for?

The Metcalf slims down enough for daypack usage, but will bulk up enough to get to mulitday use.. Get some stuff sacks if the two pockets on the lid aren't enough organization. Or get a Mule bag for day use and swap out for Metcalf bag if you really needed to.

The sawtooth only has about 2750 cu in. Where as the metcalf is at 4300 cu in. For 3-5 day trips, why not look at the Beartooth? The Beartooth has a lot of built in organization and room (5100 cu in). I have the Metcalf and I bought some smaller bags to help add organization.

What will you be primarily hunting for?
My Primary hunting is elk, deer, and bear in MT. I would say now with a 2 year old at home Im probably 70% day trips and 30% 2-3 day outings. I have packed a pile of animals out with my Eberlestock, and I am very impressed with how it has held up but not so happy with how it carries with 100lbs in it. Its the old school version of the "just one" I have probably had it 10 years or so, and its time for an upgrade. I guess what I was hoping to accomplish was the smallest bag possible that I can still pack for say a 3 day trip and have a load shelf. The sawtooth is my favorite as far as how it is configured but may just be too small for my needs.

My Primary hunting is elk, deer, and bear in MT. I would say now with a 2 year old at home Im probably 70% day trips and 30% 2-3 day outings. I have packed a pile of animals out with my Eberlestock, and I am very impressed with how it has held up but not so happy with how it carries with 100lbs in it. Its the old school version of the "just one" I have probably had it 10 years or so, and its time for an upgrade. I guess what I was hoping to accomplish was the smallest bag possible that I can still pack for say a 3 day trip and have a load shelf. The sawtooth is my favorite as far as how it is configured but may just be too small for my needs.
Then I'd go with the Metcalf! I use it primarily as a day pack but have done a 3 day hunt with it! It's my go-to now!

Metcalf if you want the space that bad. I had a Metcalf and sold it for the Sawtooth because for 90% of my needs it was way too big and bulky.

Im thinking I may just have to put my hands on them. There is a store a couple hours away that says they have them in stock. May bring my gear with me and see how they pack up. If I can fit my normal gear in the sawtooth and my sleep system in a dry bag on the load shelf I might go that route. If not it will be the Metcalf. I Also have a hunt for my dads goat coming up that may be more than a few days at a time but as of right now we are planning to bring a base camp in with horses. I did 14 days on my goat hunt with my old Eberlestock (7 days/back to the truck for more mountain house and a shower and then another 7 days) Thanks for the input everyone.

Selway 60 is right in between those two. It is a minimalist bag that doesn't have a lot of organization pockets, but that can be remedied with dry bags/stuff sacks. It's a lightweight option that can accommodate what you need.

Or buy both bags as they should both fit on the new guide light frame system.

If I was buying one now, I'd almost certainly go with a Sawtooth or Beartooth. They are both on the newer frame which should give you greater compatibility going forward and I think its a better belt design. I also really like the layout/design of those two bags

Metcalf is pretty bomb. It's too big for most of my needs but its nice to have the extra room when the time comes and it flattens out pretty well for day hunts. Just got the Mule bag for times when I really don't need any extra space.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think I found a solution that will work perfect for me. I Went with the Metcalf and also ordered a Mule bag for any quick day hunts. Thanks Fsmith! with the 25% sale I got both for less than a normal priced Metcalf.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I think I found a solution that will work perfect for me. I Went with the Metcalf and also ordered a Mule bag for any quick day hunts. Thanks Fsmith! with the 25% sale I got both for less than a normal priced Metcalf.

Sounds like a great resolution to your problem, I got a Metcalf in the fall of 2017 and I have been very pleased with it so far, however if the Beartooth had been available at the time I would've most likely gone with it instead, I really wish MR made bag only options for their entire line...I have had no problem strapping my Metcalf down for day hunts and it's nice to have the extra room when you need it

That's exactly the system I run, I strap the mule to the metcalf, and switch bags out for hunting away from camp. Also handy for round trip meat hauls.

Anytime. It’s always nice to free up a little cash for other hunts/gear.

I run a Metcalf for both my day pack and longer trips. I purchased some of the SG bags for lightweight and easy organization.

I have the Sawtooth. If I was planning any overnights I would decide between the Beartooth and the metcalf. And I would base my decision on which frame I liked best. Easy to organize any pack with pullouts. I bought my Sawtooth with it being in mind as a daypack with meat hauling capabilities. Not saying you cant use it fir an overnighter but there are better options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back